Re: Backup Sofware Suggestions

"Karim Af Afnel" <afafnel@xxxxxxx> wrote in message news:eC72j4Q9JHA.1488@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Gorden,

the Image file (from Complete PC Backup) is a *.vhd file virtual harddisk file.
You can mount it on vista (with tricks) or in Windows 7 with onboard tools, or boot it as virtual machine.

But why would you need to if MS made ALL their backup files compatible with each version of Windows backup?

The files from the Vista Backup Utility are simple *.zip files. If you want you can open it everywhere, no need for the backup utility. With the backup utility it is only much more comfortable.

Do you have a reference that Windows 7 backup and image tools are not compatible with Vista?

No, but going on past experiences (W98 backup not readable with XP and XP backup not readable in Vista) there's a fairly good chance!

  • Re: About Vista Activation
    ... Vista Ultimate's Complete PC Backup will do the trick but I found that, after using it for a few months, it started telling me that the removable drive I use for backup did not have enough room. ... Windows XP Associate Expert ... The information in this mail/post is supplied "as is". ...
  • Re: Acronis Plop-in Clone Success with Vista 64
    ... Vista seemed completely ... If my memory is correct, this number is low, in the single digits. ... inability to boot into Windows, ... Windows Backup and Restore for backup. ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: unable to find backup files when I returned from Vista to XP
    ... I am running Windows XP home edition. ... "access denied" message rather than simply not displaying a folder tree. ... diversity of backup media. ... removed Vista I went to F: and actually READ some of these files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: unable to find backup files when I returned from Vista to XP
    ... I am running Windows XP home edition. ... "access denied" message rather than simply not displaying a folder tree. ... diversity of backup media. ... removed Vista I went to F: and actually READ some of these files. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
    ... I've recently upgraded to a new PC with Vista installed, I've been using XP Professional for a few years and pretty much know the operating system inside out, my knowledge of Vista however is fairly good, but far from what I would call in-depth. ... After spending a fair amount of time reviewing the backup and restore options within Windows Vista, I'm left scratching my head wondering what on earth Microsoft were thinking when they designed this feature. ... If I want to backup just my 'Pictures' folder from the 'E' drive, I'm not allowed to do this - I have to backup every picture file from my main Windows installation drive 'C' without even having the option to select a) any other picture folders and/or files individually, and b) the option to backup to a drive and folder of my choice. ...