Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run

mmmacw wrote:
Can anyone help me? My PC was running Window XP and I was using the windows backup program to backup my computer onto an external Hard Drive. I had a mother board failure and I have decided to just convert to only using my Vista laptop. I have connected the external HD but when I try to run the backup.bkf file it will not run on the Vista computer. I keep getting a message saying that it does not recognize the .bkf file extension. I am open to any ideas.

Which is why a 3rd party backup program is the ticket.

My situation is identical to yours. I backed up to an ext. HDD, suffered a mobo failure, and restored all my stuff to a new computer so easily it would make you cry.

If you have access to a PC running XP, restore to that and then transfer to the Vista machine via flash, dvd's or whatever. Vista has an 'Easy transfer' feature you may be able to use.

Dave

  • Re: Problems with Vista Backup Program - NEED some HELP!
    ... I'm attempting to setup the Vista backup program. ... The program wizard has detected the external hard drive when I want the backups to be saved to, however it's not detecting C or D drive - it says they are "missing" and that there are 0 bytes. ...
  • Migrating from Windows 98SE to Vista
    ... I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium. ... Assuming that I can extract and install the backup program on the new system, ...
  • RE: Migrating from Windows 98SE to Vista
    ... You asked why I would think that the MS98 backup program might work. ... I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium. ... Assuming that I can extract and install the backup program on the new system, ...
  • Re: Migrating from Windows 98SE to Vista
    ... I have just purchased a new PC with Vista Home Premium. ... Assuming that I can extract and install the backup program on the new system, is there any problem in doing this? ... The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has killed a great many philosophers. ...