Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run

"mmmacw" <mmmacw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:24800012-3BA8-40DC-962E-831532B3D7E0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Can anyone help me? My PC was running Window XP and I was using the windows
backup program to backup my computer onto an external Hard Drive. I had a
mother board failure and I have decided to just convert to only using my
Vista laptop. I have connected the external HD but when I try to run the
backup.bkf file it will not run on the Vista computer. I keep getting a
message saying that it does not recognize the .bkf file extension. I am open
to any ideas.

I think you'll find that the Vista backup is not the same as XP backup which in turn was not the same as W98 backup......well done MS!!!!!!! You couldn't make it up, could you?
Your easiest way (AFAICS) is to install Virtual PC, install XP in a virtual machine, restore the backup them move the data to somewhere where Vista can see it...

  • Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
    ... I've recently upgraded to a new PC with Vista installed, I've been using XP Professional for a few years and pretty much know the operating system inside out, my knowledge of Vista however is fairly good, but far from what I would call in-depth. ... After spending a fair amount of time reviewing the backup and restore options within Windows Vista, I'm left scratching my head wondering what on earth Microsoft were thinking when they designed this feature. ... If I want to backup just my 'Pictures' folder from the 'E' drive, I'm not allowed to do this - I have to backup every picture file from my main Windows installation drive 'C' without even having the option to select a) any other picture folders and/or files individually, and b) the option to backup to a drive and folder of my choice. ...
  • Re: XP vs Vista Backups
    ... Here's a link that might help; Vista has an entire Backup & Control Center, ... use along with System Restore on my XP machine)? ... protect your personal data. ...
  • Re: Free Space Monster (episode 2)
    ... small image backup of a Vista partition on their Intel Macs. ... Conventional backup methods like using the Vista version of Ghost will ... backup more in line with a 3MB file system. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Clone backups/restores ala Mark Conrad
    ... I really prefer Parallels, backup is easy, however the Vista dictation ... Why not just create a 20GB partition ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: Can not get external HD BKF to run
    ... Restore a backup created on a previous version of Windows - Windows Vista ... message saying that it does not recognize the .bkf file extension. ...