Re: DiskJunction util

Thanks. I still have a ways to go in understanding how and why (or
how not/why not) I would use symlinks but that's the kind of specific
information I am looking for.

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Ok, I'll try to explain this in "user" terms...
Hard links and symbolic links are a traditional
feature of Unix & Linux. People familiar
with those operating systems know lots of practical
uses of links.

Windows does support both kinds of links, but only
on NTFS disks.
Windows legacy filesystem (varieries of FAT) do not support links.

So, users can expect that legacy software can break in various funny
ways when it encounters links.
For example, a program can check for a disk space on a wrong volume,
or, when asked to zip a subtree, will read several whole other
disks linked into this subtree. Not mentioning circular links :)
It will take some time until majority of Windows users get used to
links, and so will do all software vendors.

Regards,
-- pa

mazorj wrote:

Thank you, but I already started reading the comments on the PCM
page where DiskJunction is posted for downloading. I was able to
glean some additional information from
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235128 but that, like most KB
articles, is written for programmers, not end users. The 295 other
KB hits searching on "symbolic link" also are intended for
programmers solving specific problems with symlinks. So I do have
some specific questions as an experienced user who is not a
programmer:
1. Are there any categorical "no-no's" for creating symlinks that
users should avoid? 2. In layman's terms, are there any standards
or best practices for creating symlinks? Ditto for where they
should be stored, or do they just exist as keys in the Registry?
3. Can user-created symlinks conflict with existing Vista
symlinks? If so, what are some of the possible symptoms and
consequences? How does Vista resolve them?
4. According to the KB article, symlinks are a way for Win32
programs to access devices by "symbolically linking" to their NT
assigned objects. Does this mean that symlinks have no utility for
Win64 programs? And can we assume that any program that
automatically installs itself in the Program Files (x86) folder is
a Win32 application?
5. Do Win32 programs automatically create their own symlinks as
needed? If so, is there a way to find them stored in a file or in
the Registry? (The reason being that there is no point in creating
a duplicate symlink. Conversely, a program may be made more
responsive or useful if you find that doesn't have a needed
symlink.)
6. Am I asking in the wrong forum? This seems like the logical
choice but I'll gladly repost in another if that's where I'm more
likely to get informative responses.
Again, all I'm trying to do here is elicit general information
from any knowledgeable participants in the group. "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:richardurbanREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote in message
http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/1004422140/ShowPost.aspx

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience
"mazorj" <mazorj@xxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:mazorj@xxxxxxxxxxx>>
wrote
in message news:eqmogq54JHA.5048@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
No, I don't think it's a stretch. First, I did ask
specific
questions. Second, how do you know what questions you
should be
asking if it's all new to you? Third, there are some
participants who do try to share their knowledge even when
it's
clear that the poster is in over his head and needs some
schooling. I was just trying to draw on the group's
collective
expertise. If you know about symlinks then you don't even
need
to go to the article or buy the utility to contribute
something
for those of us for whom this is unexplored territory. And
as
to buying it "just to respond to me," how do you know that
no
one else already has that utility?
Furthermore, posting it here alerts users to the existence
of
symlinks and a utility that might be of benefit to them.
MS is
not the sole source of all knowledge and wisdom here.
"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:richardurbanREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote in
message news:exq%23qrm4JHA.1716@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Why don't you ask a specific question about links?
Forget
about this program for a while.
Expecting someone to go to another web site to read an
article, and then buy (PC Mag sells all their
utilities) the
utility so they can learn it capabilities just to
answer
your generic question is a bit of a stretch - don't you
think?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience
"mazorj" <mazorj@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:mazorj@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote in message
PC Magazine has come out with an interesting
utility
that taps in Vista's "symbolic links" (whatever
they are).

This is all new to me, and one knowledgeable
commenter
at the site is having some significant problems
that the
author has offered to investigate. But assuming
that
DiskJunction works or can be made to work as
advertised,
can anyone comment on symbolic link capabilities,
what they might do for users that link files can't,
and
caveats for those who are entering new territory?
(Note
that while i t displays Vista's symlinks, it won't
let
you delete them, just the ones that it creates.)
Links to technical articles are welcome, but so
are
well-formed summary comments and personal insights
done
in plain English by our resident experts.

  • [9fans] Smileys plan9port mod 1 ver. 1.0 released
    ... This makes it easier for build scripts to detect incomplete ... and dirreadall functions handle symbolic links. ... DMDIR will not follow symlinks automatically. ... Notes on developing in Acme: ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: [OT] Hardlinks and directories
    ... count of hard links, but not of symlinks, i.e. symlinks are in some ways ... Windows shortcuts are just plain regular files. ... operating system has a facility for automagically updating the alias ... symbolic links, if you want to play around with them. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: BackupEdge + symlinks
    ... Here's something that bit me a few weeks ago with the way BackupEdge ... When you tell edge to follow symbolic links during a backup, i.e., use ... description of the "Follow Symlinks" setting in the "Creating Backup ... spelled out in the documentation and help screens. ...
    (comp.unix.sco.misc)
  • Re: [9fans] p9p vac/vacfs compatibility: uid/gid, ctime, 9P2000.L, 9pserve
    ... used to archive a Linux file system to venti, is there any way to access ... the symlinks and device nodes all stat as regular files. ... The symbolic links show up as links, but with the null string as ...
    (comp.os.plan9)
  • Re: DiskJunction util
    ... The 295 other KB hits searching on "symbolic link" also are intended for programmers solving specific problems with symlinks. ... "Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx ... Windows Desktop Experience ... that taps in Vista's "symbolic links". ...