Re: Help! HDD Partitioning Inside Vista x64

"NYCGirl" <guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:d658d983c048a9427b9dff7e18112d1c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My issue is that I cannot make a large enough partition from inside
Vista x64.

I have two 1TB HDDs in mirroring, and there's only 1 primary partition
right now that spans across the entire 1TB. 350GB of the 1TB are
occupied by the OS and documents / files.

My objective is to split this 1TB into two partitions for dual boot
with Win7 RC. And for that I need a 2nd primary partition on this drive
(at least 20GB or so).

I first tried the standard way of creating a new partition. From Disk
Management, I right clicked on the C drive and Shrink Volume. Then, it
says I can only shrink by 1GB!!! Since I cannot be repeating that 20 or
more times, I unsuccessfully gave diskpart.exe a shot.

Can anybody help me with this?

On the Shrink C disk from Disk Management, it sasy:

Size of available shrink space can be restricted if snapshots or
pagefiles are enabled on the volume.

Could this be the reason? And if so, how can I turn them off?

Thank you!

--
NYCGirl

I think you have to disable mirroring before you resize, but I don't use this config so I can't be sure.

  • Help! HDD Partitioning Inside Vista x64
    ... I have two 1TB HDDs in mirroring, and there's only 1 primary partition ... I right clicked on the C drive and Shrink Volume. ... On the Shrink C disk from Disk Management, ...
  • Vista disk management
    ... I have 450gb free on my primary partition. ... I want to shrink it to provide a ... partition to dual boot Windows 7 with a size of 25gb. ... disk management tool it shows I can only use a max of 100mb. ...
  • conversion primary->extended partition possible?
    ... Is it possible to convert a primary partition to an extended partition without ... I have four primary partitions now but I'd like to shrink one and ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • conversion primary->extended partition
    ... Is it possible to convert a primary partition to an extended partition without ... I have four primary partitions now but I'd like to shrink one and ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Booting straight into various Windows options from grub
    ... too) to boot straight into different Windows options instead of having ... Installing different versions of 'doze is not straight forward because Windows can only be installed in a primary partition. ... 'fdisk' only permits one active partition per disk and refuses point blank to create an active primary partition if there's one on any other disk that's visible to the BIOS. ... but you need to put each primary partition on a different disk and make sure that all other disks containing active primary partitions are unplugged while you partition and format the next disk and install Windows on it. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)