Re: Icons change to white

bob b;3557 Wrote:
Actually I just noticed that the shortcuts I add don't work at all. So I
guess the question is "how do I add items to the top of the start
menu?"

"bob b" <removebbrazie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I have noticed that several short cuts I have added to the top of my
"start" menu have turned into just plain old white letter icons and
have
lost their distinctive icons.

Is there a reason for this and can I get the icons back?

Thanks in advance. Bob

I've experienced the same problems twice within last three months since
installing the Vista Ultimate version. I reckon the Vista I installed is
corrupt.

The icons may have changed to the non-functional 'white/blank icons'
however the *PROGRAMS/APPLICATIONS ARE STILL FUNCTIONAL*. So you needn't
unnecessarily attempt to reinstall the affected 'icons/shortcuts'.

Apparently searches indicate the 'icon cache' is corrupted. I suggest
the second best solution to a quick fix is to manually create new
shortcuts/links by copying from the original source file the shortcut
points to.

If you want to replace the shortcuts/links under the 'Start-All
Programs' you can access the icons by right clicking the 'Start button'
and selecting 'open/explore all users'. From there simply make shortcuts
from the original programs from C:\Program Files.

Hope that helps to an extent.

Regards, Mo (Azure) :)

--
Azure

  • Re: Losing "Customize Desktop..." icons and names.
    ... Very common issue and common glue to this problem. ... icons and names. ... > Came to think that my Scheduled Task service might be corrupt, ...
  • Re: Losing "Customize Desktop..." icons and names.
    ... Very common issue and common glue to this problem. ... icons and names. ... > Came to think that my Scheduled Task service might be corrupt, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Losing "Customize Desktop..." icons and names.
    ... Very common issue and common glue to this problem. ... icons and names. ... > Came to think that my Scheduled Task service might be corrupt, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize)
  • Re: Image List Problems
    ... I've got another app with the same controls but the icons there were bitmaps ... with magenta backgrounds made with MSPaint. ... free, but it does seem to corrupt 16 colour icons, I wonder if it may cause ... > In a previous post Dave muttered the following: ...
  • RE: Some apps in XP do not respond
    ... but if the links were corrupt I ... would think it would try to search for the exe. ... >Your icons/shortcuts paths or targets are either ... >and create NEW icons to correct the proper path. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)