RE: Grooming Windows Vista backups

I am having the same problem.

I have 2 external drives, 500 GB each. Each week I am backing up drive 1 (
usage aprox. 200 GB ) to drive 2. Now drive 2 filled up. This is because I
suspect Vista backs up more than 2 versions of each file which is not needed
for me, I just want 1 version of each file backed up. How do I limmit this?

"Marc Hoffman" wrote:

Hi all...

I'm having problems with a client running Windows Vista backup. Their
external backup drive to which Vista is backing up data is filling up. Is
there any way to tell Vista to "groom" the data, removing older data to keep
the drive afloat? Or, is there way to have Vista completely reset the entire
backup set on a regular schedule?

Thank you!

  • Re: Windows Vista Backup and Restore Center
    ... I've recently upgraded to a new PC with Vista installed, I've been using XP Professional for a few years and pretty much know the operating system inside out, my knowledge of Vista however is fairly good, but far from what I would call in-depth. ... After spending a fair amount of time reviewing the backup and restore options within Windows Vista, I'm left scratching my head wondering what on earth Microsoft were thinking when they designed this feature. ... If I want to backup just my 'Pictures' folder from the 'E' drive, I'm not allowed to do this - I have to backup every picture file from my main Windows installation drive 'C' without even having the option to select a) any other picture folders and/or files individually, and b) the option to backup to a drive and folder of my choice. ...
  • Re: Clone backups/restores ala Mark Conrad
    ... I really prefer Parallels, backup is easy, however the Vista dictation ... Why not just create a 20GB partition ...
    (comp.sys.mac.system)
  • Re: XP vs Vista Backups
    ... Here's a link that might help; Vista has an entire Backup & Control Center, ... use along with System Restore on my XP machine)? ... protect your personal data. ...
  • Re: Free Space Monster (episode 2)
    ... small image backup of a Vista partition on their Intel Macs. ... Conventional backup methods like using the Vista version of Ghost will ... backup more in line with a 3MB file system. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.apps)
  • Re: Grooming Windows Vista backups
    ... suspect Vista backs up more than 2 versions of each file which is not needed ... I'm having problems with a client running Windows Vista backup. ...