Re: Compression reduces free space

22gb free is still borderline and unless you have a large ammount of data
something else is consumming space.
If you are creating backups on this drive there is little point since if the
drive goes west so do your backups.
You perhaps should be considering installing a second drive.

"Mark" <flc03@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Gerry -

Thanks to you and DL for the reference to removing shadow copies - I ran
this and the computer got back up to 22.8 GB!

And to R.C. - thanks for your info. It's always interesting to hear about
the technicalities, although I find it a bit hard to follow -

Mark

"Gerry" <gcjc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Mark

Where are you getting your fee disk space information from?

In Windows XP most users looked at the figures in Windows Explorer. If
users used third party file managers they also got their figures from the
same source as Windows Explorer. The figures never reconciled because the
results of file compression were ignored. Instead of using size on disk
the file size figures were taken. I would not be surprised if the same
situation applies in Vista except that you have the added complication of
shadow copies referred to by DL.

Are you using any third party backup programmes?

Have you run Disk CleanUp?

Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk CleanUp to empty the
Recycle Bin, remove Temporary Internet Files etc. Also select the More
Options tabs and remove System Restore Points and Shadow Copies. Please
advise what affect this has on free disk space?

~~~~

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mark" <flc03@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks for the reply.

The outlook files are several data files that I created (e.g.,
clients.pst) and I compressed them through Outlook rather than through
Explorer.

C is the only drive on my computer. It is 147 GB and has 13.2 GB. To
give you an idea of what happens, I'll run through a scenario.

The drive now has 13.2 GB free.
In Explorer, I migrate to a subdirectory of my Documents directory
C:\Users\myname\Documents\Ordinances\Texas Codes. I right click the
directory and it indicates that Texas Codes is 1.6 GB and the size on
disk is 1.61 GB (I don't understand how the size on disk can be larger
than the size, but I proceed anyway).
I compress the Texas Codes directory though Explorer (I right click the
directory, go to Properties, then to Advanced, then click "compress
contents to save space," then hit "apply," then "apply to all folders or
subdirectories." The "Applying Attributes" feature runs.
After "Applying Attributes" is complete, the "Texas Codes" Directory now
shows that it is 1.6 GB and 1.3 on disk. So, it dropped by about 300
MB. I would think that the C drive should now have 13.5 GB free. Right?
Nay-nay! Instead of INCREASING by 300 MB, my free space has now
fallen to 12.7 GB. So, instead of gaining space, I LOST about 600 mb
of free space! (BTW, my Outlook program was not receiving new messages,
and I saved a large file to a USB drive, so nothing was added to my C
drive during this process).

Seems counterintuitive to me. And a bit scary. Any thoughts?

"DL" <address@invalid> wrote in message
What outlook files/directories do you refer to?
The only large outlook files are likely to be the data files and its
best to comress/clean these up within outlook.

What size is C, is this your only drive & how much free space remains?

"Mark" <flc03@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate and just compressed several large
directories on Outlook 2007 and under my Documents directory in
Explorer. After the compression was done, the amount of free space was
less than before. Why did this happen? Is there a trick to using
compression, or a better way to free up space?

Mark

  • Re: Compression reduces free space
    ... The figures never reconciled because the results of file compression were ignored. ... Instead of using size on disk the file size figures were taken. ... The outlook files are several data files that I created and I compressed them through Outlook rather than through Explorer. ... Instead of INCREASING by 300 MB, my free space has now fallen to 12.7 GB. ...
  • Re: Compression reduces free space
    ... It would appear likely that you will need to include their removal in your routine housekeeping to maintain a reasonable amount of free disk space. ... If users used third party file managers they also got their figures from the same source as Windows Explorer. ... The figures never reconciled because the results of file compression were ignored. ... The outlook files are several data files that I created and I compressed them through Outlook rather than through Explorer. ...
  • Re: Compression reduces free space
    ... I can't explain compression, but maybe I can help with one small part of your query. ... So a thousand 1-byte files have only about 1 KB of data, but they take up about 4 MB of disk space. ... The outlook files are several data files that I created and I compressed them through Outlook rather than through Explorer. ... Instead of INCREASING by 300 MB, my free space has now fallen to 12.7 GB. ...
  • Re: Compression reduces free space
    ... If users used third party file managers they also got their figures from the same source as Windows Explorer. ... Instead of using size on disk the file size figures were taken. ... The outlook files are several data files that I created and I compressed them through Outlook rather than through Explorer. ... Instead of INCREASING by 300 MB, my free space has now fallen to 12.7 GB. ...
  • Re: Low disc space
    ... Computer icon on the Desktop and select System Restore. ... especially if you do not store offline copies on disk. ... You will have a Local Settings folder for each User Profile. ... Enable drive level compression. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)