Re: User name not the same as logon name?

Eyeonb;1143545 Wrote:
That makes sense now! :) So ... if using lusrmgr.msc, I right click the
username and select rename, and change "Name" from User to Charles, will
that automatically rename c:\users\user to c:\users\Charles, or is it
going to cause problems, and deletions of all my docs?

Any way of backing it up first before trying if we're unsure?
No.Still "User" account profile will be stored in C:\Users\User even if
the "Name" will be now "Charles".System allow this kind of things.Really
do you disturb it?I suggest leave it.Well there is ability to rename
user profile folder too...but is that really worth to do :shock:?
When you change account "Name"...
1.First you have to login into another admin account -if you don't
another admin account you have to create it before.
2.Find folder C:\Users\User and rename it to C:\Users\Charles
3.Open regedit find key *HKEY_LOCALE_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList* navigate to subkey which adressed to
"User" account and correct path to user profile folder.See image.
[image:
http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15931&stc=1&d=1253795950]

As you can see you have to edit path in "ProfileImagePath"
After it you will have account name "Charles" with profile
C:\Users\Charles

|Filename: UIP.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15931|

Flavius

  • Re: Changing folder name in "Douments&Settings"
    ... You would have to do a clean installation. ... that account is used, you would not be able to rename or remove it. ... How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Changing folder name in "Douments&Settings"
    ... A user profile folder under D&S ... >that account is used, you would not be able to rename or remove it. ... >file structure before you do the copy procedure. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: Name change in XP SP2
    ... I'm an XP newbie but there is only that one account other than Guest. ... then try to rename the other account's profile folder. ... you can make an exact copy the existing user profile to ...
  • Re: rename system folder
    ... You cannot rename the user folders, as the name is still tied in to that specific user throughout the system. ... Create a new user account, with the name the way you want it to appear on the folders, the copy the old user profile to the new account. ...
  • Re: Rename "Owner" account?
    ... How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile ... > How do I rename the "Owner" account in the Documents and Settings area? ...