Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions

I'm glad you got it done. Also you were courteous enough to let everyone here know what it took.
Will you answer a question for me. Did this solution you are using still keep the standard user from being able to elevate to admin?
In other word are you still getting the security benefits that UAC provides?
Last, what led you to "elsewhere" to find what would work for you?
I admire your tenacity,
H Brown

"JWAzevedo" <JWAzevedo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:4039782A-EC0E-4D3E-B9CE-FD3A5FA52D5A@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks to all who replied.

H Brown's solution didn't work for me because I didn't want the program to
start automatically. Before I resorted to Mike's solution [:)] and before I
saw Kerry's workaround, I found the following solution elsewhere, and since
it was the simplest, I tried it first. I can tell you that it solved the
problem, and I recommend it to anyone who has a similar issue.

Here is the link to the solution I used:

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1426-How-to-disable-the-User-Account-Control-Prompt-for-a-certain-application-only.html

If that link doesn't work, the steps are pasted below:

1. Install the Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0.
2. In the Start menu, locate the Compatibility Administrator inside the ACT
folder. Right-click it and Run as administrator.
3. In the left hand pane, right-click on the database under Custom Databases
and select Create New, and select Application Fix.
4. Enter the name of the application you want to alter and browse to it to
select it.
5. Click Next until you are in the Compatibility Fixes screen.
6. On the Compatibility Fixes screen, find the item RunAsInvoker, and check
it.
7. Click Next and Finish.
8. Select File and Save As. Save the file as appname.sdb in a directory you
will easily find it.
9. Copy the appname.sdb file to the Vista computer you want to alter the
elevation prompt behavior on.
10. Click Start>All Programs>Accessories. Right click Command Prompt and
click Run as administrator.
11. Run the command: sdbinst appname.sdb
It should display: Installation of "appname" complete.

And good luck to everyone navigating the Vista waters.

Best,
Jerry

  • Re: User Account Control blocking a program despite permissions
    ... locate the Compatibility Administrator inside the ACT ... Copy the appname.sdb file to the Vista computer you want to alter the ... elevation prompt behavior on. ... Right click Command Prompt and ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • Re: Still trying to remove W2K PC from NT4 Domain...
    ... OK...taken your advice and removed my old NT4 box and all seems to be ... created user (Pheasant) with that of Administrator? ... Administrator, ... "Type this command in a Command Prompt and make a ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: How do I
    ... Log into an account with administrative privileges. ... Choose cmd to get a command prompt (do not close Task Manager). ... If that didn't work, you can enable the built-in Administrator, log into ...
  • Re: Internet explorer 6.0
    ... I was also having the same issue, but my administrator acct had not problem ... > Rather than deleting just the index.dat file, delete the Temporary Internet ... A new folder will be created on restart. ... exit the command prompt and restart the computer. ...
  • Re: Lost Administrators password
    ... I tried your method, Safe Mode with Command prompt, and logged in under a Limited User account. ... NET USER ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD ...