Re: Won't ask for password when waking up from hibernation.

I've got a Compaq CQ60 with Vista Home Premium which is only a few
months old. I've noticed the same thing and am perplexed that such a
security issue is danlging around without serious attention from
Microsoft and HP.

What I found is that if I:
1. tell the laptop to go to hibernate
2. shut the lid
3. come back later and push the power button to resume from
hibernation
4. that the desktop appears without prompting me for a password.

I experimented and discovered that if I shut the lid before the
hibernation process completes, the system will not prompt for a
password. If I wait until the system completes the entire hibernation
process, and THEN shut the lid, it always asks for a password when
resuming.

Hope that helps anyone who still is perplxed by this. Then again,
knowing Microsoft, this probably only addresses the problem in some
scenarios and I'll be eating crow in a few days when it happens again!
;) Yum, my favorite: crow.

--
lukeall
lukeall's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/lukeall.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: Wont ask for password when waking up from hibernation.
    ... Still - wasn't Vista ... I experimented and discovered that if I shut the lid before the ... hibernation process completes, the system will not prompt for a ... scenarios and I'll be eating crow in a few days when it happens again! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • Re: Wont ask for password when waking up from hibernation.
    ... Still - wasn't Vista ... I experimented and discovered that if I shut the lid before the ... hibernation process completes, the system will not prompt for a ... scenarios and I'll be eating crow in a few days when it happens again! ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • RE: System wake up from Standby/Hibernate to be done Programmatica
    ... electronic switching circuit for turning on the main power to the computer. ... of the hard drive and then NTLOADER reads the hibernation file from the hard ... circuits when it is necessary to wake the machine. ... that intercepted the hardware event that is generated when the laptop lid is ...
  • Re: Closing lid of laptop hibernates the computer
    ... How to avoid the hibernation? ... close the lid. ... my laptop sleeps or hibernates even when I ... Have a look at the BIOS settings of the laptop. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: No Rest For This Laptop
    ... unlike the E700 that I have, this laptop won't go into either standby ... or hibernation when I close the lid. ... Saver' Tab, and then click the 'Power Button', and then the 'Advanced' ... There should be a drop down box along the lines of "When I close the lid ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)