Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up

I have an installation package (.msi) that is sent out thte users. This .msi
creates a shortcut on the desktop and places entries under Start - Programs.
On Windows Vista, the admin installs this .msi and logs off.

Now the non-admin user logs in, but he doesn't see the shortcut and the item
under Start - Programs.
The non-admin user can browse to Program Files\xxx and create a shortcut of
the .exe on the desktop, but this isn't the best way.

Are there any special settings in Vista that allow the non-admin user to see
the entries under Start - Programs and the shortcut on the desktop, for a
program that was installed by the admin?

  • Re: Desktop shortcut/program items not showing up
    ... What's happening here is your installation package is using the ... .msi creates a shortcut on the desktop and places entries under Start - Programs. ... Now the non-admin user logs in, but he doesn't see the shortcut and the item under Start - Programs. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)
  • Program items/desktop shortcuts dont show up
    ... I have an installation package (.msi) that is sent out thte users. ... creates a shortcut on the desktop and places entries under Start - Programs. ...
  • Re: MSI error message after installation
    ... > No the MSI is copied to the local drive PC first before installation ... I've checked the shortcut in my deployment project and it ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.setup)
  • VS .NET 2003 keeps reinstalling when using a transform to move shortcuts on start menu
    ... installation of Visual Studio .NET 2003 Pro. ... I get a working local installation on our Windows XP Pro SP1 ... The transform was generated using Wise Package Studio 4.62. ... Visual Studio MSI package). ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.setup)
  • Re: Please help - SMS service on the target workstation does not h
    ... > I have make a MSI with a shortcut pointing to a networkdrive> The problem is in my original MSI the shortcut Destination looks like this ... > and when Im installing the MSI manually on the locally it works fine, but> when i use SMS ... > have network privileges so cannot see the I: ... During installation of a>> program you can specify SMS to map a specific or any drive letter to a DP>> and run program from a mapped drive. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.swdist)