Re: This calculation is just wrong / computer can't count!

The FPU keeps 80-bit values. It also uses an implicit "hidden" bit, since the high-order
bit of a floating point value is always redundant, since it is always 1. It is implied
but never present, which gives an additional bit of mantissa. There's a lot of detail
described in the FPU manual, which you can actually download from the Intel Web site (I
did this a few years ago, so I don't remember the link, but I recall it took very little
searching to actually find the download once I got to the Intel site)
joe