Re: m_hWnd unused when running in debugger

<bigbear@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1187617991.344673.260170@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I posted this item a month or so ago and never saw a useful response
or answer to it and went on doing other things, but the problem has
not gone away in the meantime. I've even taken the trouble to create
a dialog based MFC application from scratch in VC++2005 and the
situation is the same, m_hWnd is "unused" when running in the
debugger.

It is not clear what you mean. A dialog's m_hWnd is valid and "used" once the dialog has been created by a call to DoModal or Create. Why do you say "unused?"

This creates a huge problem for somebody working with an
application which has to use a window handle for a main dialog window
e.g. a command such as

if (WSAAsyncSelect(s, hWndc, WM_TCP_FD_READ, FD_CONNECT | FD_ACCEPT |
FD_READ | FD_CLOSE | FD_WRITE)) DisplayServer("Async
SocketFailure");

cannot work since the attempt to establish a callback fails, the
returning tcp calls having no place to come back to. That means that
such applications cannot be debugged using MicroSoft software, unless
there is some piece of information I am missing.

Again I'd like to hear from somebody who actually knows something.

Describe "fails." What result do you get from what call? There is no problem using a dialog's m_hWnd as the destination of socket messages. It works. You have been obscure in describing your problem and incorrect in your conclusions.

  • Re: AppleWin Debugger & AppleWin Ports
    ... I found the single-screen debugger constraining at first ... do what I needed within the window. ... the command line/docs are a little too obtuse for it ... debugger and set a breakpoint at $300, switch back to the emulator and CALL ...
    (comp.emulators.apple2)
  • Re: Why JIT Debugger Doesnt Work on Particular Project?
    ... > debugger doesn't seem to be working. ... any error in this one particular project just pops-up the window ... > app's config file, but the only config files I see are those in the ... But even when I removed the reference, still no debug window. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.general)
  • Re: API
    ... Use the Watch window or the Locals window. ... Every visual debugger I've ever used, ... and then set the terminating null character to complete the string. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.app.development)
  • Re: NetBeans debugger: suspend and see current stack trace how?
    ... My answer was about NetBeans. ... is a window with all the extant threads visible in the debugger view. ... Not by default, although once you open the window in the debugger, it will show the Threads window again next time it is started, at least on the same project. ... Lew, you should have mentioned you were using a beta build, because it *is* different than the stable version. ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)
  • Re: A Toughie: Debugging a symbiont under DECwindows...
    ... > 2) No network connection; ... > The debugger manual says you can't use a DECwindows display for ... First get a window to POP up using: ... I used the above for debugging symbiont code. ...
    (comp.os.vms)