Off Topic: Install\Uninstall Problem concerning a MFC Application

All,
I know I am off topic here but I believe someone here will have
experience with a problem I am facing and its a MFC application I am
trying to install.

If there is another newsgroup someone knows of I would considering
trying that may help as well.

The Problem ....

I have a very simple application that is going to be released in its
second version. The first version was installed using a old version of
Wise installer 6.0.

The new release version of my app is on the latest version of Wise
installer.

I need to be able to blow away the first version off a users machine
and install the new version. The reason for automating this is our
users are not savvy users of Windows.

The problem I am running into is the application is always running, as
its a system tray application, and its on all Windows OSs from Win 98
to Win Vista. I have created a terminate app executable (seperate
process called from the new install) that will terminate the
application but how do I uninstall the old version. I need the new
install to wipe out the old registry settings,a Desktop icon, a File
Directory, and few menu items. This application consists of less then
10 files and a dozen registry entries.

Now the file directories and the registry settings should not be a big
issue but how do I remove the Desktop, Menu items on all Operating
Systems, if I remember correctly aren't they in different locations?
If so, does anyone know these locations?

I know the location of the original installed files (the system tray
executable location) but not how to remove the incidentals such as the
menu items and the desktop icon.

Is there a registry setting somewhere for each Operating System Menu
\Desktop item?

As I have little experience programming for Vista will there be any
security issues I must tackle before deleting files/registry settings
on Vista.

I have tried the preferred method of calling Wise's "UNWISE /S
install.log" to uninstall the old version, which works, but in Windows
Vista all the allows/cancels and the Unwise executable allow\cancel
message would even make me question continuing the new install.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Chris
Solomon_Man

  • Re: KB953838 wont install in Vista
    ... Vista Home Premium and this update will not install. ... I recently reinstalled Vista on my new Gateway machine using the ... sits there in the system tray, ...
  • RE: KB953838 wont install in Vista
    ... Above is the correct MS link for that IE7 security download. ... Vista Home Premium and this update will not install. ... I recently reinstalled Vista on my new Gateway machine using the Gateway ... sits there in the system tray, ...
  • Re: Windows XP "bloating" ...
    ... Then you install a couple apps. ... First, note that that issue isn't with "system tray programs," it's with ... themselves by an icon in the system tray, but by no means do all of them. ... Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • KB953838 wont install in Vista
    ... Vista Home Premium and this update will not install. ... I recently reinstalled Vista on my new Gateway machine using the Gateway ... got the wrong hotfix, or it still doesn't work as it tells me the hotfix ... sits there in the system tray, ...
  • Re: Whats gone wrong with Free AVG
    ... noticed that there was no icon in the System tray. ... the System Tray icon from the program list and 2clicked on it, ... Click on that as if to install. ... Why not unistall then reinstall it Smokey. ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)