Writing an activex control to proxy calls to an unregistered activex control

Hi all,

One of my clients needs to support using two versions of an activex
control within Internet Explorer. However, both versions of the control
register to the same CLSID meaning that it is not possible to run both
concurrently without some intervention.

One idea that I had was to create a new activex control under a
different CLSID (and associate that CLSID with a different mimetype) so
that requests to the new mimetype will be sent to the new activex
control, which will in-turn proxy those requests to the unregistered
version of the activex control.

Has anyone had experience doing anything like this before? I have a lot
of research to do on this front and I thought I would see if anyone
could point me in the right direction. I know that I can use
LoadLibrary and GetProcAddress, etc to interact directly with the
unregistered activex dll, but I'm hoping there is a more elegant
solution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe

  • Re: POS#1 Self-Executing HTML: Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0 Part III
    ... Just set the kill bit for the affected Active ... > The ADODB.Stream control, an important part of several current IE ... If anyone knows a tool for finding out the CLSID of an ActiveX object I ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Re: POS#1 Self-Executing HTML: Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0 Part III
    ... Just set the kill bit for the affected Active ... > The ADODB.Stream control, an important part of several current IE ... If anyone knows a tool for finding out the CLSID of an ActiveX object I ...
    (Bugtraq)
  • Re: Different ActiveX versions
    ... The problem is that i don't know how the CLSID is generated, ... newer versions of the main App use this new ActiveX. ... there has to be some place in the ActiveX where i can change ... give the new control a different CLSID and make it possible to ...
    (microsoft.public.win32.programmer.ole)
  • Re: Detect installed version of activex control
    ... If your control has a ProgID "abc.def", ... If you have a CLSID, ... In many cases there will be a Version subkey ... The ActiveX does not seem to expose a method to detect its version. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • ActiveX problem
    ... Everytime I start Excel it asks me if I want to run this Active X control. ... how ActiveX controls are initialized within Office applications. ... another format the link reference to the ActiveX control might not convert ...