Re: static aray question?

Robby <Robby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think I am getting confused between
passing by reference and passing a pointer??????

C doesn't have syntax for passing by reference, the way C++ does. In C,
"pass a variable by reference" is just another way of saying "pass the
address of the variable: the function should take a pointer to it as a
parameter".
--
With best wishes,
Igor Tandetnik

necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to
land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly
overhead. -- RFC 1925

  • Re: pointer syntax
    ... > really passing a reference (which is like an old-school pointer, ... > a copy of the primitive's value and passing that. ... build them yourself with pointers. ... mean a var parameter, write a var parameter. ...
    (comp.lang.pascal.delphi.misc)
  • Re: Passing by reference
    ... It depends upon the reason one is passing the reference. ... instantiate all relationships via a constructor so there will always be ... I naturally think of 'getter' methods as 'knowledge ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: Using ref
    ... the address of a variable that contains a reference to an object, ... the C version is passing the address of a variable that contains the   ... Inasmuch as the specification is unambiguous, there is a single truth. ... Every time he states the incorrect view, I will feel compelled to correct his incorrect statements. ...
  • Passing by Reference
    ... I think I finally get the idea of passing by reference, but I'm struggling with the syntax and grammar of it. ... At some point, I should be passing a reference to, instead of the value of, $oMyClass - but I don't know where or how. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: Derived type argument to subroutine
    ... In practice, they often, but not always are. ... I can rely on the fact that arguments are passed by reference. ... Would the printed value always be 4, or is it undefined as the passing ... With an important exception, ...
    (comp.lang.fortran)