Re: float IEEE 754

Well the IEEE-54 standard standard is supposed to be used by everyone implementing floats simply as a standard way for interoperability. Consider using a PC, a game console or a supercomputer. If everyone has their own way of doing things, like it was a few decades ago, then specialized compilers would be needed to calculate binary data for every different platform available Not the way to do business.

Consider the LINPACK benchmark, what good would it be if every machine had a different way of implementing floats.

--
http://contract-developer.tripod.com
http://computer-chess.tripod.com

"Nathan Mates" <nathan@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:13tim04smoc1efa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In article <0kght31p7duierqg5mnlailjrsc2hj0qg5@xxxxxxx>,
Tim Roberts <timr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Many graphics applications use fixed-point numbers in various
formats. It works fine, but those programs have to do their own
arithmetic by hand.

Speaking as someone who programs games for a living, that used to
be more true than it is today. The earliest consoles, and before the
Pentium II era, floating point units were nonexistant (at worst) to
horribly slow (at best). However, starting about 2000, with the era of
the Sega Dreamcast, Sony Playstation 2, Microsoft XBox, and Nintendo's
Gamecube, it's been expected that your platform will have a quality
floating point unit. Once you have such a thing, it's better to use
that floating point unit, because that allows multiple sections of
your CPU to be in use at once.

Even handheld units are starting to get into the floating point
business. The Nintendo DS (top-selling unit) doesn't do floating point
to my recollection. However, the Sony PSP is a cut-down PS2, so it
definitely has good floating point, especially when you use the vector
units.

Nathan Mates
--
<*> Nathan Mates - personal webpage http://www.visi.com/~nathan/
# Programmer at Pandemic Studios -- http://www.pandemicstudios.com/

  • Re: Index register and accumulator
    ... exactly specified rounding, in decimal to match the real world of pounds ... The intent of the quanta parts of IEEE decimal is to permit automatic scaling, as binary floating point does, while preserving significance information. ... Loss of significance is detectable by the hardware in IEEE decimal, ... They had to make one important change to the COBOL standard, from mandating 34 digit precision to only 33-digit, so as to get something that would fit in a quad, but they were happy to do so to get the added range and be free from the task of explicitly coding the decimal point maintenance. ...
    (comp.arch)
  • Re: Sine code for ANSI C
    ... >> shell script) fully conforming. ... limits mentioned in the standard. ... adding a few more translation limits. ... minimal accuracy requirements for the floating point operations. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: compression in floating point arithmetic
    ... If you want to force floating point values to the same type, ... I was thinking that the sequence point stuff could affect in some way this behaviour, it just seemed very reasonable reading the standard, even if not explicitally stated. ... showed me that in the other way the augmented precision can be carried out. ... Of course you don't need to explain to me the entire standard, there was just a specific point I thought it was saying that the truncation was forbidden, so for me it would have been enough that someone could explain me that in this case that point doesn't apply (like for example Jack did when he showed me that the contraction thing was wrong). ...
    (comp.std.c)
  • Re: Rfd: floating point truncation V1
    ... Some other standard I looked at makes "round towards zero" ... an internal representation of floating point negative zero, "-0E", which differs ... to go for an IEEE FP extension). ...
    (comp.lang.forth)
  • Re: [xpost] a new C/C++ type that when overflow i see it
    ... The standard defines clearly what happens with floating point overflow. ... Obviously there will be implementations of C where the machine has no ...
    (comp.lang.c)