Re: Have read the documentation, and am confused

From: Bonj (Bonj_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 12/08/04

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 03:33:02 -0800

Tha'ts a good article, and clears up some of the myths.

"Mark Jerde" wrote:

> Victor Bazarov wrote:
> > Bonj wrote:
> >> I think I've figured it anyway - it says for the "count" argument
> >> "not including the terminating null". So this is ideally one less
> >> than the number of wide chars.
> >
> > Just to let you know, wide chars are really larger than regular
> > chars, and bytes are exactly the same size as chars. For example,
> > you can store only 6 wide chars in 15 bytes since you have to have a
> > totally zeroed wide char to indicate the end of the sequence, and so
> > one byte will be wasted.
> >
> > That's, unfortunately, the extent of my understanding of wide chars,
> > and I am not even sure it's correct.
>
> See if this article helps. ;-)
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html
>
> -- Mark

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Strong Passwords Revisited
    ... > As for the 32/64 chars, this gives a much larger area for error, people may ... > real attack attempts ina any log files. ... If passwords expire too frequently then even the 'memorable' ... simply to change the password whenever they change their 'regular' ...
    (comp.security.misc)
  • Re: Strong Passwords Revisited
    ... > As for the 32/64 chars, this gives a much larger area for error, people may ... > real attack attempts ina any log files. ... If passwords expire too frequently then even the 'memorable' ... simply to change the password whenever they change their 'regular' ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: Strong Passwords Revisited
    ... > As for the 32/64 chars, this gives a much larger area for error, people may ... > real attack attempts ina any log files. ... If passwords expire too frequently then even the 'memorable' ... simply to change the password whenever they change their 'regular' ...
    (comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security)
  • Re: Strong Passwords Revisited
    ... > As for the 32/64 chars, this gives a much larger area for error, people may ... > real attack attempts ina any log files. ... If passwords expire too frequently then even the 'memorable' ... simply to change the password whenever they change their 'regular' ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Removing *some* XML Character encodings with regular expression
    ... I'm trying to remove chars 00-29 from an XML document and need a regular ... I've tried a few things with ranges etc. but can't get it. ...
    (perl.beginners)