Re: VC8 RTL of initial and SP1 versions and manifests

Hi Andrei,
Sorry for having you wait a long time. After many communications with a
developer, I finally resolved this issue.
Application configuration file indeed works for unmanaged applications on
both Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, however they have some different
configuration settings.

On Windows XP, you need not to specify the publisherPolicy section. I used
the following configuration file (ManiConsTest.exe.config) for my test
program ManiConsTest.exe:
<configuration>
<windows>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" processorArchitecture="x86"
name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.0.41204.256-8.0.50608.0"
newVersion="8.0.50727.42"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.0.50727.42-8.0.50727.1433"
newVersion="8.0.50727.42"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</windows>
</configuration>

This is enough for Windows XP. However on Windows Server 2003, the things
became more complex. To have it work, you must install Application
Compatibility Toolkit 5.0 (ACT 5.0)and configure the EnableAppConfig flag
for your application. Please refer to the following steps in detail:
1. Download and Install ACT 5.0 (Application Compatibility Toolkit.msi)
from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24da89e9-b581-47b0-
b45e-492dd6da2971&DisplayLang=en
2. Open Start->All Programs->Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit
5.0->Compatibility Administrator;
3. After Compatibility Administrator is opened, first click the Save button
to save the database, rename it as AppCompatDB, input the file name as
appcompatdb and click Save.
4. Right click AppCompatDB database, select Create New->Application Fix...;
input your application name to the field "Name of the program to be fixed"
(I input ManiConsText here for my program), select your Program file
location by clicking Browse button, and click Next;
5. Select None as Compatibility Modes, click Next, select EnableAppConfig,
click Next, click Finish, and then Save your database by first selecting
your database and clicking the Save button;
6. Right click your database, select Install and you will find that the
database will be installed under the Installed Databases folder.
7. After the above steps, you have successfully configured the
EnableAppConfig for your application, and now you just need one
application configuration file (xxx.exe.config) which is as following:
<configuration>
<windows>
<assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
<publisherPolicy apply="no"/>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity type="win32" processorArchitecture="x86"
name="Microsoft.VC80.CRT" publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.0.41204.256-8.0.50608.0"
newVersion="8.0.50727.42"/>
<bindingRedirect oldVersion="8.0.50727.42-8.0.50727.1433"
newVersion="8.0.50727.42"/>
</dependentAssembly>
</assemblyBinding>
</windows>
</configuration>

After the above steps finished, you can run your program and then you will
find that it only loads the assemblies with the version 8.0.50727.42.

For more detailed information, please refer to the following articles:
Per-application Configuration on Windows XP
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375667(VS.85).aspx
Per-application Configuration on Windows Server 2003
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375660(VS.85).aspx

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel
free to let me know. It is my pleasure to be of assistance.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,
Charles Wang
Microsoft Online Community Support
from this issue.

  • Re: Vista, CreateFile and Shadow Copy
    ... I have an applicaiton that works fine on Windows XP, ... to do with the shadow copy fieature of Vista. ... I have an application that runs as a service and uses a sqlite database ... certain configuration parameters. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Vista, CreateFile and Shadow Copy
    ... I have an applicaiton that works fine on Windows XP, ... to do with the shadow copy fieature of Vista. ... I have an application that runs as a service and uses a sqlite database ... certain configuration parameters. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Re: Vista, CreateFile and Shadow Copy
    ... I have an applicaiton that works fine on Windows XP, ... to do with the shadow copy fieature of Vista. ... I have an application that runs as a service and uses a sqlite database ... certain configuration parameters. ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Re: Vista, CreateFile and Shadow Copy
    ... configuration changes to the running service using a form of interprocess ... I have an applicaiton that works fine on Windows XP, ... to do with the shadow copy fieature of Vista. ... I have an application that runs as a service and uses a sqlite database ...
    (microsoft.public.vc.language)
  • Re: Re:Keepin constants, configuration values, etc. in Python - dedicated module or what?
    ... is rather clumsy in many ways as there's an overhead reading them ... It is very useful for the database to be self contained and self ... write and maintain as opposed to simply editing a configuration file ...
    (comp.lang.python)