Re: Coding a save button

Bottom posting is generally preferred because it maintains the "flow" of the quoted conversation. IOW, you read the quotes from the earliest (top) to the latest (bottom). Most people don't really care too much if a thread is started as top-posted or bottom-posted, but whichever method is started in a reply, it should be followed in all subsequent replies.Otherwise, it just makes a mess of quoted text unless somebody takes the time to fix it like Rick did. If you're unsure what top-posting and bottom-posting mean, top-posting is when your reply precedes quoted text (is on "top" of it) and bottom-posting is when your reply follows quoted text (is at the "bottom" of it). Frequently (as I'm doing in this message), you have "inline" comments but even then, the comment usually is under the quote (so is bottom-posted).

I need to save a text file. I am in a class at school and I'm making a project that uses tabs. I have to be able to add tabs to the project by clicking on the Add Product menu. I also have to be able to save the changes made to the tabs. The project is loading the tabs from a text file by using a control array. Any thoughts?

Talk to your instructor. He/She has probably outlined, at least to some degree, how he/she wants you to do these things.
Well yeah he did, but i was wondering if there was a really easy way to do it. I also have to have a file menu with exit in it, and the exit button must prompt to save before exiting. Thanx for your time.
My two cents worth:

You should not be looking for "easy" ways to do things at this stage of your learning. The time to learn the kind of tricks I think you are asking about is AFTER you learn the fundamentals well enough that you can use them as if they were second nature to you. Follow the instructions the teacher has given you and learn to do what he/she is teaching you well; there is usually a good reason for an instructor teaching things in the order he/she is doing it and for the homework assignments he/she gives you (that is true no matter what the class)... don't try to skip ahead of the instructor, it will not help you learn the fundaments that you need in order to advance to the next levels.

I agree with Rick 100%. When you're first learning a programming language (or really anything at all), you need to stick to the basics and if not master at least be very familiar and comfortable with. And really, that's what your instructors wants, especially if it's an introductory class (and it sounds like this is). There's nothing wrong with wanting to learn more and being aggressive in your coding, but if you come to the newsgroups asking how you can do something...shall we say in a "more advanced way", your instructor is either going to be wondering why you're taking this class or he/she is going to know you didn't do the project all on your own (and probably give you a lesser grade on it). You need to keep with the lesson that the instructor is teaching, not ask in the newsgroups how to do the project in an advanced way. That's the LAST thing an instructor wants to see in their students. You're not going to impress your instructor by writing code and using techniques that have not been discussed in class. He/She is just going to know you got help or possibly that someone else wrote most of the code.

well the thing is my instructor has already told me how to do it im just wondering if there is an easier way to do it than what he taught me?

The one thing I have found in VB is that there seems to always be another way to do something. However, you have to take care in using "easier" solutions because, very often, they are less efficient that a longer looking process. For example, there are API function solutions that will take up many, many lines to implement which will run circles around much shorter routines. Take a look at this link...

http://www.xbeat.net/vbspeed/c_GetFile.htm

Scroll down about a third of the way to the speed comparison chart. Take a look at the code labeled GetFile05... it is the fastest for the function being tested with all the others taking more than twice as long to execute. Just under the chart are listing for the five routines. Notice how short the first four listing are (between 7 and 13 lines of active code). Now look at the code for the fastest routine... it is some 70 to 80 lines long consisting of some 7 individual procedures.

As I said earlier... learn the basics and forget about looking for easier, or even faster, routines... doing that will serve you best as you study VB.

Rick

.