text (file) report to something newer

I have an app that generates a text report. My original app was an old
(DOS) BASIC program that would generate a text file or a file sent to a text
printer using PRINT #1... statements. The app has moved over to VB6 but the
report has remained basically unchanged for the last 20 years or so.

My app is not (necessarily) a database type app. I collect data from an
electronic data acq. system and perform a lot of calculations on them and
then generate the report. I do later store my data into a DB but the
reports I want to generate are not really tabular reports.

These are the things I have been working on:

Printer object - I started rewriting my code to generate a report with the
printer object which for the most part it looks nice but I think the
programming to generate the report (with different font sizes, lines, boxes,
etc.) seems to be somewhat very troublesome in regards to lining everything
up.

richtextbox control - Yesterday I did a quick test that read in my text file
and wrote the lines to a richtextbox control. On the lines that were
headings I bolded the text so that seemed nice. I am thinking I may want to
use this.

Excel - I have generated to Excel files with mostly data and was thinking I
could write my report to a Excel file. I could control which rows and
columns get formatting (font size, color, attributes) and adding lines.

something else - If you could suggest to other tool that people are using
that would be great.

PDF - Whichever method I use I want to generate a PDF file from it. I
understand whichever way I use to create the report that generating a PDF is
easy using a standard PDF Printer.

thanks for any help,

  • Re: text (file) report to something newer
    ... moved over to VB6 but the report has remained basically unchanged ... report with the printer object which for the most part it looks ... Using a RichTextBox control in conjunction with the VB Printer Object is a good way of including different fonts and styles in your various lines and / or paragraphs of text, and you can print the contents of the RichTextBox anywhere you like on the page and over multiple pages, with whatever margins you wish and even in "newspaper style" columns if you want to, although it does take a fair amount of code to get the printing side of it right. ... that generating a PDF is easy using a standard PDF Printer. ...
  • Re: Crystal Reports .NET: Exporting to PDF
    ... Are you trying to save the report (as *.pdf) to a different computer other ... I have a Win2k3 webserver that's accessing ... I have an ASP.NET app deployed and it works well, ...
    (microsoft.public.vsnet.general)
  • The Quantified Self: your life in numbers
    ... But do you know anyone who puts out an annual report ... Every 90 minutes the app buzzes to get their attention and offers up some ... Quantified Self Labs, is a contributing editor at Wired. ... Nathan Yau, the statistician who runs the website flowingdata.com, is ...
    (comp.misc)
  • Re: where will I notice negative side effects of bloat?
    ... recordsource for an Access report object. ... procedures which you believe cause the observed bloat? ... it sets up a querydef at the ... So, when one looks at the database window in the 8MB app, one sees the ...
    (comp.databases.ms-access)
  • Re: text (file) report to something newer
    ... report has remained basically unchanged for the last 20 years or so. ... My app is not a database type app. ... Excel - I have generated to Excel files with mostly data and was thinking I ... PDF - Whichever method I use I want to generate a PDF file from it. ...