Re: Run file as exe?

Actually, the ability to execute a file with a non-executable extension was
available under DOS.

--
Jonathan Wood
SoftCircuits

"Jim Carlock" <anonymous@localhost> wrote in message
> And I've been uptight about Internet Explorer reading and parsing
> XML files, and executing code inside of files with a .txt extension.
>
> .txt files aren't what they used to be. Guess I'm still stuck in old DOS
> thinks.
>
> --
> Jim Carlock
> Please post replies to newsgroup.
>
> "J French" <erewhon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:49:50 GMT, "Trammel" <Me@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Try
> >> Call Shell( Main.txt )
> >>
> >> You might be rather surprized
> >
> >Damn!!!
> >I coulda swore that opened a .txt file with notepad!!!
> >
> >Oh well... stupid me :(
> >I feel.... || this small right now - lol
> >
> >Thnx for the reply J French :)
>
> It's Ok - it is a rather obscure feature
> - I only discovered it by accident

  • RE: [Full-Disclosure] Oldest Hack Sept. 1970 Just for Fun
    ... So who first discovered the execute bug in 7090? ... DoS a BASIC programmable caluclator with an infinite loop. ... > year that computer programming was offered if I remember correctly. ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Linker strangeness
    ... but it didn't execute correctly. ... DOS, but not under windows. ... What I decided to do until I figure out either a linker that can cope ... it into a second stage loader, I won't end up with a source file that ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Linker strangeness
    ... but it didn't execute correctly. ... > DOS, but not under windows. ... package, used separate full MASM package, v5.xx or v6.xx, v6.11 is the ... binary (NASM is able to do this w/o external linker) and then include it ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Detecting CDROM drive from FreeDOS boot floppy
    ... Then I booted from the floppy and it worked fine: ... and tried to execute start.exe, which presumably boots the Ubuntu Live ... I got an error message to the effect that it could not be executed in DOS ... First a DOS boot disk creator that won't run under DOS, ...
    (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc)
  • Re: Run file as exe?
    ... the ability to execute a file with a non-executable extension was ... That rings a bell ... - I don't think I ever used it under DOS ...