RE: SPS-WSS and Project Server?

From: KnightFall1 (KnightFall1_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 11/12/04

Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 11:21:02 -0800

Well our company chose option 1. But the difference in our case was we have
the Project Server 2003 database on a SQL 2000 Cluster in active/passive mode
and the SharePoint Portal Server 2003 database installed locally on the
Sharepoint Server. Basically on the Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 box we did
the following:
1) Created an IIS virtual site for the portal sites to use (i used the
default port 80) 2) Created another IIS virtual site (running on another port
besides port 80) for Project Server to use
3) Ran the Sharepoint administration tool to extend both IIS virtual sites
4) Ran the wsswiz.exe file included on the Project Server 2003 CD to install
the necessary Project Server templates on the IIS virtual site for use by
Project Server. Don't install these templates on the IIS virtual site used by
Sharepoint.
5) Go into the admin portion of Project Web Access and specify the URL/port
of the IIS virtual server used by WSS on the Sharepoint Portal Server 2003
box and choose to connect to it.

When WSS project sites are created via Project Web Access, they would
automatically reference the URL/port of the IIS virtual site on the shared
Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 instance and physically be created on the
Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 box since that's actually where WSS resides,
not on the Project Server box. Hope that helps.