** READ THIS BEFORE POSTING - answers to frequently asked questions 2004.10.21

From: Karl Levinson [x y] mvp (levinson_k_at_despammed.com)
Date: 10/21/04

    Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 07:25:58 -0400

    Before you post a question to a Microsoft.public.*.security newsgroup, note
    that your question may already be answered below:

    Answers to Top Frequently Asked Questions:
    http://securityadmin.info

    My question is not mentioned below. How do I get an answer immediately,
    with no waiting?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#moreinfo
    See also: http://www.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.*
    See also: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
    See also: http://www.google.com

    I want to post a problem or question to the newsgroup. What info do I need
    to post in order to get a correct answer quickly?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#netiquette

    I just heard about a new Microsoft security patch update. Where can I get
    the patch?
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp

    I just installed a Microsoft security patch update, and now my computer is
    having problems.
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#patchbroke

    I received an email from Microsoft / Microsoft Support / Microsoft Internet
    Security Center claiming to be a security patch [or comprehensive Internet
    Explorer update]. Is this a virus?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#microsoftemail
    ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.

    I received a virus email from a Microsoft email address. Who do I report
    this to?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#microsoftemail

    I have the RPC Blaster worm "virus," what do I do?
    ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.

    My computer is giving RPC Remote Procedure Call messages.
    There is a TFTP message or file on my computer.
    My computer keeps locking up, and/or rebooting, or telling me that it will
    reboot in 1 minute.
    ALSO NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.

    Where can I download the Blaster worm / RPC DCOM patch?
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com OR
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/current.asp

    I'm having a problem caused by the JDBGMGR.EXE Teddy Bear "virus" hoax, or I
    want to replace this file.
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#jdbgmgr

    I forgot my Windows logon password and can't log in. How do I reset it?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#password

    I have a problem or a question with a virus or with antivirus.
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#virus
    NOTE: www.grisoft.com is free antivirus, USE IT.

    Why is Outlook Express blocking my attachments as "unsafe"?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#attachments

    How do I stop getting pop-up messages? Or adware? Or spyware?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#pop-ups

    How do I block people from viewing adult or objectionable content on a
    computer?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#contentfilter

    How do I block spam emails?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#spam

    There is a Content Advisor password blocking me from certain web sites.
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#contentadvisor

    How do I delete an FTP folder that a hacker put on my computer and I cannot
    delete?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#ftpfolder

    Have I been hacked? What do I do if I've been hacked?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#hacked

    How do I re-secure a computer that has been hacked?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#re-secure

    How do I test or improve the security on my computer to avoid being hacked?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#harden

    How do I investigate a suspicious IP address that may be trying to hack me?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#trace

    How do I report a hacker?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#reporthacker

    How do I use a port scanner or vulnerability scanner to test my security?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#portscanner

    How do I encrypt my files and/or hard drive?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#encryption

    How do I get a firewall? IDS?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#firewall

    I want to use the IPSec filtering or IP filtering feature of Windows to
    block certain ports and have a problem or question.
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#ipsec

    I have a problem or question with the XP ICF firewall.
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#icf

    I have a problem or question with the IIS URLScan tool.
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#urlscan

    How do I change the banner on my computer or server to hide what software
    version I'm using?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#banner

    How do I enable Windows Auditing to tell who logged into Windows or who
    accessed a file?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#auditing

    How do I inspect and disable programs that start up when Windows starts?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#startup

    How do I use RUNAS or let someone use RUNAS to run commands as administrator
    without having to type the password?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#runas

    How do I let non-administrator users run Defrag or change their IP address?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#runas

    My question is not mentioned above. How do I get an answer immediately,
    with no waiting?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#moreinfo
    See also: http://www.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.*
    See also: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search
    See also: http://www.google.com

    I want to post a problem or question to the newsgroup. What info do I need
    to post in order to get a correct answer quickly?
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#netiquette

    Note that this is NOT a full list of all the questions answered in the FAQ.
    Chances are, your question has probably already been answered. The complete
    FAQ is at:
    http://securityadmin.info/faq.asp#contents

    I hope this is helpful. Feedback, suggestions and criticism regarding the
    FAQ are welcome and may be emailed to me.

    kind regards,
    Karl Levinson, CISSP, MCSE, MVP
    email: levinson_k@despammed.com