Re: Some help for my grandson

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 10/11/04

    Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 23:16:10 -0400

    I will leave that to you. You can forward this post to him ;-)

    Jeff can expect emails that will look and appear as patches from Microsoft. They are not
    from Microsoft as Microsoft will *never* send unsolicited patches to anybody. They will
    have 134~156KB attachments and the email should be deleted.
    He can also expect Failed Mail emails sent to him from people he does not know. They will
    have 134~156KB attachments. They should be deleted.

    I also suggest...
    AVAST - http://www.avast.com/i_idt_1016.html - FREE
    AVG - http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php - FREE
    CA eTrust - http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - FREE for one year.
    { Free offer expires 2/1/05 }

    Dave

    "Doug Mc" <NOSPAMdougandnancymcneill@chilitech.com> wrote in message
    | Thanks Dave,
    | I appreciate your warning. It never entered my mind - but should have.
    |
    | Can you tell him how to protect himself against my error??
    | Doug

    | > Doug:
    | >
    | > Some feedback --
    | > In actuality you did your Grandson, Jeff, a disservice by posting his
    | email address,
    | > unmunged, in this News Group. The following is an example of a munged
    | email address;
    | > DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net when you remove ~nospam~ you have the true
    | email address.
    | > Here is the reason why...
    | >
    | > If you post to UseNet with your TRUE, not a munged, email address then you
    | have invited the
    | > Swen Internet worm [aka; W32/Gibe-F] to visit you.
    | >
    | > The Swen is news spelled backwards. The reason it is called this is
    | because the Swen worm
    | > harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. It has an engine that
    | allows it to post
    | > itself to UseNet News Groups and well as it has its own email engine.
    | From the list of
    | > email addresses that it has harvested, it will then email itself to those
    | addresses.
    | >
    | > W32/Swen@MM - http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm
    | >
    | > W32.Swen.A@mm -
    | http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.swen.a@mm.html
    | >
    | > Dave
    | >

    | > "Doug Mc" <NOSPAMdougandnancymcneill@chilitech.com> wrote in message
    | > | Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.
    | > | Doug

    • So Windows Update is a dog, now what?
      ... extension, that means that the soon-to-be-released Windows Update, ... How about someone getting serious about patch management over at ... In their explanation of the severity rating scheme, the Microsoft ... incredibly reliable mechanism for getting patches onto systems, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • RE: Security and EOL issues (was RE: WMF Exploit Patch released)
      ... While I sympathies with those that feel that Microsoft is getting richer ... Compare AIX to Windows, ... software support for AIX Base Operating System 4.3.3. ... Every vendor releases new builds and patches, ...
      (Security-Basics)
    • Rev 2 new stuff at the bottom and "Valuable" fixes :-)
      ... Try the Microsoft Project News Groups. ... newsgroup supporters will reply directly. ... Mark Durrenberger, PMP ...
      (microsoft.public.project)
    • Re: patch management policy/practice
      ... The real issue regarding patches and service packs and Microsoft is that it ... software, non-patched, and open to all levels of risk and destruction. ... > Remember that the goal of security is generally not to make your server ...
    • Re: patch management policy/practice
      ... The real issue regarding patches and service packs and Microsoft is that it ... software, non-patched, and open to all levels of risk and destruction. ... > Remember that the goal of security is generally not to make your server ...
      (microsoft.public.win2000.security)