Re: bios virus???

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 10/07/04

Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 16:21:06 -0400

You are misinterpreting the screen. It is NOT BIOS generated and there are NO BIOS viruses.
There are BIOS infectors that erase the BIOS of flashable BIOS's but if that was the case,
your PC would never have booted.

If you have a menu to choose WinXP Home or WinXP Pro then someone installed WinXP Pro ontop
WinXP Home.

This is easily curable by editing the hidden file, c:\boot.ini

Dave

"andy smart" <anonymus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| steve wrote:
|
| > When i boot by system i am prompted in the Bios to pick a
| > version of XP ...I have XP home but there is a choice of
| > that and Professional. I have been told this is a serious
| > virus on my motherboard chip and that microsoft have a
| > download to fix it. any ideas
|
| I've heard of viruses that can damage your BIOS, but not one that
| exhibits this behaviour. It sounds as though XP's boot loader thinks
| you've got both types of XP on the machine and wants to know which one
| to boot.
|
| How long have you had the PC? and when did this start happening? Did it
| suddenly begin to give you the choice after a reboot?
|
| I assume you run anti-virus on your computer and that it hasn't found
| anything?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Something odd. Should I be concerned?
    ... A sure sign that the Bios in your machine is set to boot from Hard-Drive b4 ... > WinXP Home, SP2 installed ... > I have just discovered a floppy disc has been in my A: ...
  • BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO on boot from CD
    ... The mobo on our PC went kaput, so we got a new one. ... I set the BIOS to boot from CD 1st and am using a WinXP Home (the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: Boot problem following new motherboard installation
    ... Go back to sleep noddy - you don't activate a partition via the BIOS. ... After installing the motherboard I did a ... >> repair/upgrade on my WINXP Home OS installation on the harddrive. ... I got the disk boot failure, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: My machine does not recognize new hard drive size.
    ... > I have winxp home sp2 and a main harddrive of 30GB, ... > The main 30Gb drive is a Maxtor and works well. ... > This is a recognized problem that my motherboard makers say should ... What does your BIOS say the size of the drive is? ...
  • Re: Dynex CD/DVD writer-recorder drives in XP: ID Problems
    ... > The drive is being properly recocnized by the BIOS in the setup ... but WinXP Home would not. ... Check the registry for upperfilters and lowerfilters and reboot ... in my own proper atmosphere. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)