Re: bios virus???

From: andy smart (anonymus_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/07/04

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:52:36 +0100

steve wrote:

> When i boot by system i am prompted in the Bios to pick a
> version of XP ...I have XP home but there is a choice of
> that and Professional. I have been told this is a serious
> virus on my motherboard chip and that microsoft have a
> download to fix it. any ideas

I've heard of viruses that can damage your BIOS, but not one that
exhibits this behaviour. It sounds as though XP's boot loader thinks
you've got both types of XP on the machine and wants to know which one
to boot.

How long have you had the PC? and when did this start happening? Did it
suddenly begin to give you the choice after a reboot?

I assume you run anti-virus on your computer and that it hasn't found
anything?

Relevant Pages

  • Re: wont boot again
    ... and that UBCD will always be handy now. ... Steve T wrote on Fri, ... but under [operating systems] you have: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: wont boot again
    ... Do I open in Notepad, ... Thanks, Steve T. ... I can click F8 to go into Safe Mode, choose Start Windows ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Core 3 with XP pro?
    ... Steve wrote: ... apart from losing the XP partition at least as ... > far as the boot loader went so after panicking and reinstalling XP pro I ... hence my 'WinXP Pro SP2'. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: wont boot again
    ... That's great news, Steve! ... but under [operating systems] you have: ... I have opened up boot.ini in both Safe and Normal modes and ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Core 3 with XP pro?
    ... Steve wrote: ... > far as the boot loader went so after panicking and reinstalling XP pro I ... > boot loader with Core 2 gave a windows option straight off. ... Other was WinXP Pro on my machine. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)