Re: bios virus???

From: andy smart (anonymus_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 10/07/04

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:52:36 +0100

steve wrote:

> When i boot by system i am prompted in the Bios to pick a
> version of XP ...I have XP home but there is a choice of
> that and Professional. I have been told this is a serious
> virus on my motherboard chip and that microsoft have a
> download to fix it. any ideas

I've heard of viruses that can damage your BIOS, but not one that
exhibits this behaviour. It sounds as though XP's boot loader thinks
you've got both types of XP on the machine and wants to know which one
to boot.

How long have you had the PC? and when did this start happening? Did it
suddenly begin to give you the choice after a reboot?

I assume you run anti-virus on your computer and that it hasn't found
anything?