Re: How to turn off the "File System Real-time Protection" in Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition?

From: Dmitriy Kopnichev (kopn_at_hotbox.ruDELETE)
Date: 04/28/04

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:30:36 +0400

I don't work with administrator rights all the time, I install all critical
updates, I antivirus check all incoming files. How could a virus run on my
computer?
The administrator doesn't like me and doesn't know how to turn off the
mandatory "File System Real-time Protection" for my computer. The
administrator who turned on doesn't work here anymore.

"estafford" <estafford your pants @newmancom.com> wrote in message
> <quote>
> slows down
> moving files dramatically.
> <end>
>
> I would say some slow moving files is a small price to pay for what a
virus
> or trojan could do - including severe system performance issues.
>
> Your system admin can set a "blanket policy" for a network installation.
> In addition, your admin can also set policies on a per user/computer basis
> that will overide the "blanket" policy.
>
> Including what to scan, how often, how deep, under what actions/conditions
> etc...
> The admin can also give you as an individual the ability to disable real
> time scan (not recommended). All this is done through the Symantec MMC on
> the server.
>
> Know what your company policies on this subject are. You may just have to
> live with it.
> After all, you wouldn't want to be responsible for releasing a virus or
> trojan on your network because you disabled virus protection.
>
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
> > You need to talk to the administator who is controlling the Antivirus
> > installtions on the workstations in your organization.
> >
> > The reason the checkbox is greyed out is that central policy settings
> > mandate that the protection remain on. I suspect this problem can be
> fixed
> > without removing the protection, but I'm not familiar with this product
> > enough to point you directly to a fix.
> >
> > In any case, the control over whether you can disable that checkbox lies
> > with your administrator.
> >
> > "Dmitriy Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
> > >I read the page. How to turn off the "File System Real-time Protection"
> in
> > > Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 8.00.9374?
> > > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2002080711105548

?Open&src=&docid=2003042114175848&nsf=ent-security.nsf&view=ppfdocs&dtype=co
> rp&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

> > > Protection"
> > > down

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Installing Anti Virus
    ... > Have home version of XP and am trying to install McAffe ... > Anti Virus Software with no success. ... you should delete the login name and replace it with administrator. ... Then click on the link to change account type. ...
  • Re: administrator password
    ... As windows is loading up press F8 repeatedly until the Windows advanced ... Select Administrator and it will log you on as administrator without a ... Spyware Programs links:- ... Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker: ...
  • Re: System Restore
    ... Right click each of the keys in turn, ... I don't know what else to do to get rid of the virus. ... I downloaded the Stinger program, ... >> username, and not the Administrator. ...
  • Re: IE Properties Restricted
    ... will not be detected by most virus scan programs. ... Please contact your system administrator." ... > The account has access to all other administrative functions, ... > The machine has always been kept update with Security Patches, ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.security)
  • Re: How to turn off the "File System Real-time Protection" in Symantec Antivirus Corporate
    ... I don't work with administrator rights all the time, ... How could a virus run on my ... > trojan on your network because you disabled virus protection. ... >> You need to talk to the administator who is controlling the Antivirus ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)