Re: Email virus?

From: Bill Sanderson (Bill_Sanderson_at_msn.com.plugh.org)
Date: 03/18/04

Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:07:36 -0500

And you'll be guessing. Maybe a good, educated, guess, but a guess all the
same, and one which risks being exploited by a smart malware writer--for
example, the ones who actually DO infect jdbgmgr.exe!

"Dan" <gamemasterk67@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> First, tell us the extension of the attachment(eg. *.exe). Second, What is
> the name of it?
>
> Tell me those things, and I will be able to tell you if it is viral or
> not.
>
> Bye, Dan
> "Bill Sanderson" <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote in message
>> Yes they could be. Neither the names nor the sizes of the files is a
>> sure
>> indicator of whether they are viral, however.
>>
>> What does your antivirus application have to say about them?
>>
>> In general, there's no simple method to stop others from sending you
>> mail.
>> Viral email is usually generated by other machines infected with the
> virus.
>> You can determine the ISP of the sending machine by examining the headers
> of
>> the emails, and send a report to abuse@ that ISP. Some ISP's will take
>> action on well-formed reports.
>>
>> There are also apps which will allow you to examine the mail while still
> at
>> the server, and create rules to delete it while still on the server,
>> based
>> on parameters you determine.
>>
>> Here's one such application:
>>
>> http://nakawe.sourceforge.net/MMM3/
>>

>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Many different emails being recieved from different
>> > websites containing attachments in files of 22.2kb could
>> > these be virus and how can i stop my email from recieving
>> > them? reply asap.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Cam Setup
    ... I have to enable uPnP in my router and use a web server provided by Panasonic to provide a fixed IP address so I can access the cam from anywhere. ... Your ISP has a Terms of Service. ... Operating a "server" on your home LAN, port forwarding ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: How do I get default service change to stay
    ... PITA - this is anti server behaviour by your ISP. ... If their ISP did not have these security> requirements, I would be using the POP connector to retrieve email and the ... > My only problem has been that if the ISP service in the Outlook profile is> not the default account, outbound Internet email is sent to the Exchange> server, not to the ISP mail server. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Filename that has the Vegas pro settings
    ... It downloads virus definitions from their server, ... I'll try and find a way to get my internet connection ... And the NAT provided by the router, ... are the ones provided for free by your ISP. ...
    (rec.video.desktop)
  • RE: Exchange Issues
    ... The problem occuring was that SPA had been ticked in the POP3 connector ... > Email and Internet Connection Wizard) first. ... > email settings of the server. ... If you need to forward internet email to your ISP ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Why IP address is fixed everytime connected to the Internet?
    ... The ISP, the network card (i.e. MAC address??), or the ... Typically it is assigned by your ISP. ... from the ISP DHCP server. ... Some Internet connections are formed using PPP ...
    (microsoft.public.security)