Re: Blaster virus - no start menu

From: David H. Lipman (DLipman~nospam~_at_Verizon.Net)
Date: 03/03/04

    Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:47:22 -0500

    If and when you get the shutdown message...

    Go to; Start --> Run
    enter; shutdown -a

    This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool,
    Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ or the Microsoft Lovsan/Blaster and Nachi/Welchia
    Removal Tool
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E70A0D8B-FE98-493F-AD76-BF673A38B4CF&displaylang=en
    and install the following patch for the RPC/RPCSS Buffer Overflow Vulnerability that is
    addressed by Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-39 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824146

    Please read: http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

    You also need a FireWall. If you don't patch the PC and not use a FireWall then you will
    just be re-infected.

    I also suggest the installation of *ALL* MS Critical Updates ASAP.

    In addition:
    If you post to UseNet with your TRUE, not a munged, email address then you have invited the
    Swen Internet worm [aka; W32/Gibe-F] to visit you.

    The Swen is news spelled backwards. The reason it is called this is because the Swen worm
    harvests email addresses from UseNet News Groups. It has an engine that allows it to post
    itself to UseNet News Groups as well as it has its own email engine. From the list of
    email addresses that it has harvested, it will then email itself to those addresses.

    Dave

    "Julie" <d e w c h u c h @n tlworld.com> wrote in message
    | We have just been reinfected with the blaster virus. I'm
    | downloading the patch from my universities computers to go
    | home later and fix it.
    |
    | All of the fix instructions refer to using the start
    | button but the start menu is not accessible.
    |
    | I've downloaded the following to disk:
    | FixBlast.exe
    | Windows-KB833330-ENU.exe
    |
    | What should I do when we get to our computer with this,
    | considering the start menu is not available.
    | Oh, and we have Windows XP

    • Re: virus
      ... When you get the shutdown message... ... This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool, ... itself to UseNet News Groups and well as it has its own email engine. ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)
    • Re: windows xp shutdown
      ... To stop shutdown, click Start, click Run and type: ... It doesn’t remove the worm. ... You can then connect to the Internet and download the Microsoft relevant patch. ...
    • Re: xp nt authority shut down
      ... This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool, ... Swen Internet worm to visit you. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: NT AUTHORITY SYSTEM SHUTDOWN
      ... When you get the shutdown message... ... This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool, ... Swen Internet worm to visit you. ...
      (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
    • Re: Blaster Worm HELP ME I AM GOING CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      ... When or if you get the shutdown message... ... This will halt the shutdown and give you a chance to Download the McAfee worm removal tool, ... and install the following patch for the RPC/RPCSS Buffer Overflow Vulnerability that is ...
      (microsoft.public.security.virus)