RE: problem installing MSDE 2000 when MS BCM already installed

From: Mingqing Cheng [MSFT] (v-mingqc_at_online.microsoft.com)
Date: 08/31/04

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 07:34:41 GMT

Hi Maz,

Thanks for sharing your pains with us.

>From your descriptions, I understood that you will fail to install MSDE
unless removing Business Contact Manager(BCM) first. Have I understood you?
If there is anything I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know:)

For further troubleshooting, please collect the following information for me
1. What's your windows version, Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows 2003
(and it's language version)?
Have you make the latest updates by Windows Updates?

2. Have you upgraded to MDAC 2.8? Download it here and upgrade to see
whether any progress will make.

Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-
b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

3. Try to keep Windows and MSDE with the same language setting

4. Can you find MSSQL$MICROSOFTBCM service in your DELL box? If so, stop
this services and see whether any further process could be made.

concerns, don't hesitate to let me know. We are here to be of assistance!

Sincerely yours,

Mingqing Cheng
Microsoft Developer Community Support
Introduction to Yukon! - http://www.microsoft.com/sql/yukon
Please reply to newsgroups only, many thanks!

Relevant Pages

  • [NT] Buffer Overrun in Microsoft Data Access Components Could Lead to Code Execution
    ... Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) is a collection of components used ... to provide database connectivity on Windows platforms. ... and some MDAC components are present as part of Internet Explorer ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Alert: Microsoft Security Bulletin - MS02-065
    ... Buffer Overrun in Microsoft Data Access Components Could Lead to Code Execution ... Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.1 ... The vulnerability does not affect Windows XP, despite the fact that it uses Internet Explorer 6.0. ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • Re: Here is what MS says about MCE 2005 and XP Pro
    ... I'll NEVER buy another HP with any MCE software. ... MCE2004 to 2005 wuth the HP upgrade CD. ... downloads and Windows LIVE progammable updates. ... MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)
  • Re: Seeking upgrade advise for motherboard change with oem windows
    ... i only have oem windows xp with only a restart disc need to know if i ... need only an xp upgrade version to do it or will i need a full 98 ... Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Analyst: $120 for Windows 7 Way Too Much
    ... :> users off the aging Windows XP and make them forget the bad ... :> Earlier today, Microsoft unveiled list prices for Windows 7, ... :> around $300," said Baker, who's dubious about Microsoft's ... :> homes, and by making the upgrade expensive, and a bit ...
    (soc.retirement)