Re: max number of databases

From: Hari Prasad (hari_prasad_k_at_hotmail.com)
Date: 08/12/04

Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:20:29 +0530

Hi,

Adding new databases to the server may not be a issue. Could you check your
CPU - Processor time
and Memory usage (Available bytes MB) during peak time. If your available
memory and CPU hits are
normal then you can create more databases, Because SQL server will take very
less memory to open a database.

Thanks
Hari
MCDBA

"NAN" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I realize it all has to do with how much ram, disk space,
> cpu, etc.. but is there a maximum number of databases you
> should have on 1 database server? Here are some specs:
> 2cpu's @1ghz
> 2 gb ram
> plenty of disk space
> clustered
> The problem is that mgmt keeps putting more and more db's
> on this server (there are over 60). Every day the error
> log has to be deleted because it is too large to open.
> Mgmt now wants reasons why NOT to put any more db's on
> this server. They are koo koo.
> Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: for linux, which CPUs are almost always faster than which other CPUs?
    ... Is there any way to find out how to compare two different CPUs for the ... For a *web server*, the main bottleneck is you disk drives / mass storage ... The *second* bottleneck will be memory. ... And then I'll ask someone about comparing CPU A and CPU B, ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: 64-bit memory consumption
    ... CPU cores and memory keep pace with each other, ... There is time spent in GC that won't be affected only to the GC cycles, you get indirect hits in the form of poor cache coherency and cache pollution in the code that uses GC'ed memory. ... Desktop CPUs with significantly larger caches aren't there yet, and on a server, your cache is shared by multiple applications, and you can't appropriate it all for your application's purpose without affecting the rest. ...
    (borland.public.delphi.non-technical)
  • Re: Slowly Terminal Server response
    ... physical memory is an indicator of available memory. ... If Task Manager only shows a single CPU graph, then only one CPU is installed. ... A good general guide to keep in mind is that most applications require the similar amount of memory as they would on a desktop for each user. ... I normally start with a general guideline of 25-30 concurrent users for a server with 4 GB of RAM and 2 CPUs and then do testing for a specific set of required applications. ...
  • Re: CTRL-ALT-DEL SCREEN VANISHES
    ... for memory and CPU can give you an idea of what is going on. ... The server runs the following apps/services ... force the problem to occur making it more difficult to troubleshoot. ...
  • Re: max number of databases
    ... >Adding new databases to the server may not be a issue. ... >and Memory usage during peak time. ... >memory and CPU hits are ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.setup)