Install Query Analyzer on 64-bit Windows 7

You can install the old SQL Server 2000 Query Analyzer (isqlw.exe) on 64-bit Windows 7 workstations. Just copy the entire "Microsoft SQL Server\80" directory from the install CD (or another working isqlw.exe instance) to your "C:\Program Files (x86)" directory.
To run the QA scripts that generate code for you, you need to run (as admin):
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\sqldmo.dll"

Erland Sommarskog wrote:

Dave Mc (DaveMc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
16-Jan-10

Dave Mc (DaveMc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) writes:

To run either set of tools, they need need to install them. I do not know
why you think Mgmt Studio cannot run on a workstation, but if you never
installed it that may be the reason.

You can run Query Analyzer aganist SQL 2005/2008 to run queries in a
query window. The functionality in Object Browser may not work very well
if at all.

Installing the tools on the workstations should be straightforward. The
only problem is if you only have 64-bit media for SQL 2005, and the
workstations run a 32-bit operating system. In this case, Setup will
incorrectly block. (The tools are alwasy 32-bit.)

--
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

On Friday, January 15, 2010 3:23 PM