SQL Documentation Tools

Hi,

I have received a mandate to "document" my databases. It seems that there
are several products out there that will scan the meta data of a database
and generate a Word/PDF/HTML/XML/etc. document that details the structure of
the database. If I'm going to bother with such, I'd like to be able to add
permanent comments for each object about why it exists and remarks on how it
should be used (i.e., custom meta data about my meta data). Also, I'm
finding that SQL 2005/2008's restricted viewing of database diagrams
interfere's with my ability to communicate database structure to the
developers I support. So, it would be nice if a documentation tool would
support diagrams as well.

I solicit your recommendations and warnings about such products you have
experienced.

--
Thank you,

Daniel Jameson
SQL Server DBA
Children's Oncology Group
www.childrensoncologygroup.org

  • Re: datapump, expdp, is very slow
    ... Once it starts doing the table dumps it is quite good, especially the parallelism, but at the beginning and end when it does the meta data it takes ages! ... Especially when you have over a hundred thousand users in the database. ... It seems obvious that I'm hitting some bug or that maybe it isn't that simple a problem because there doesn't seem to be much information on datapump performing badly:(When I get some more time I'll look into it in more depth. ... PX Deq Credit: need buffer ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: [PHP] Re: how to display images stored in DB
    ... there is issue of going to the database and going to the ... database for meta data and server and file location. ... But easy to solve by breaking down meta data and storage parts. ...
    (php.general)
  • Re: datapump, expdp, is very slow
    ... Once it starts doing the table dumps it is quite good, especially the parallelism, but at the beginning and end when it does the meta data it takes ages! ... Especially when you have over a hundred thousand users in the database. ... I'm going to do some comprehensive tests later on, so might post some timings then. ... I started a meta data dump before I left tonight and it was going so slow. ...
    (comp.databases.oracle.server)
  • Re: Where SQL meta data located?
    ... Oddly enough SQL Server 2000 meta data is located in a SQL Server 2000 ... database and SQL7 meta data is in a SQL7 database. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.tools)