Re: The process could not deliver the snapshot to the Subscriber

From: Paul Ibison (Paul.Ibison_at_Pygmalion.Com)
Date: 08/15/04

Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:17:51 +0100

Sam,
if you are on the subscriber, can you successfully access the repldata share
and open the MSmerge_contents.bcp and MSmerge_contents.sch files? It looks
to me that the snapshot files don't exist - perhaps they have been cleaned
up, or the snapshot agent not run. Even on a nosync initialization, for the
metadata tables these files are still necessary.
Regards,
Paul Ibison

"Sam" <sam@info.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to accomplish what is in the following article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320499
> After restoring a publisher database, starting a merge-agent results in
the
> error:
>
> The job failed. The Job was invoked by User sa. The last step to run was
> step 1 (Run agent.).The process could not deliver the snapshot to the
> Subscriber. The step failed.
>
> Category:ODBC
> Source: ODBC SQL Server Driver
> Number: 0
> Message: Unable to open BCP host data-file
>
> Category:AGENT
> Source: MIKELAPTOP
> Number: 20037
> Message: The process could not bulk copy into table
> '"dbo"."MSmerge_contents"'.
>
> The subscription has been marked for reinitialization. Reinitialization
will
> occur the next time you synchronize this subscription.
>
> Does the size of the database (1.05 gb) have anything to do with the last
> error "The subscription has been marked for reinitialization...."
>
> I'm attempting to do the following for a merge pull subscription. I just
> read the following that there is a nosynch option on merge publications.
If
> this is true then how do I move a large subscription without using copy
> subscription.
> The msf file that is generated is greather than 2gb so there is a
limitation
> in windows os to 2gb.
> Merge Replication
> Note No-synch subscriptions are not supported for merge pull
subscriptions.

> When you use backup or restore to set up a subscription to a merge
> publication with the no-sync option, follow these steps:
> 1.. Publish the database, and then run the Snapshot Agent. If the
database
> has been published, you only have to run the Snapshot Agent.
>
> All changes that are made on the publisher are now recorded in the merge
> replication system tables.
> 2.. Back up the published database, and then restore it on the
subscriber.
> 3.. Create a new subscription, and then select No, the Subscriber
already
> has the schema and data.
> 4.. Run the Merge Agent.
>
> When the Merge Agent runs, it first uses the snapshot to create the
merge
> replication tables. All the changes that were made since the snapshot was
> generated are applied to the subscriber:
> a.. If you added any rows between step 1 and step 2 in this procedure,
> you will see the new rows as updates on the subscriber. The rows already
> exist because of the restore. Therefore, you will see the new rows on the
> subscriber.
> b.. If you deleted any rows between step 1 and step 2 in this
procedure,
> the Merge Agent reports that no changes must be made because the rows do
not
> exist on the subscriber. The backup or restore was performed after the
rows
> were deleted on the publisher.
> c.. If any rows were updated between step 1 and step 2 in this
> procedure, you will see these as updates on the subscriber.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Replicate 600G db
    ... > replicating 600 G is more complex than replicating a smaller amount. ... > making sure that this local database has the name of the database you want ... > to use on the subscriber. ... > 3) create your snapshot as always, but this time when you are creating ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: Snapshots, Validation, Resynchronization with Merge Replicatio
    ... within the published and subscribed database to store schema info and other ... publisher. ... What this means is that a subscriber has 14 days to sync at least ... NOw the question is how often do you have to run the snapshot. ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: Replicate 600G db
    ... replicating 600 G is more complex than replicating a smaller amount. ... To do this you replicate to a local database ... test on your subscriber, make the local subscriber database name test. ... Snapshot delivery section, select the use snapshot files from the following ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: SQL 2005 and Replication
    ... can you check the history of snapshot agent? ... why the snapshot agent thinks certain fulltext indexes cannot be scripted ... subscriber database is unpleasant, but the initial thinking behind not doing ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)
  • Re: trans replication of large tables...
    ... Just because it is set to local admins doesn't mean that it can ... something as simple as a timeout during the application of the snapshot. ... subscriber, the subscription is created specifying that the subscriber ... > in the same publication - or if they are queried in the same procs they ...
    (microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication)