SCCM 2007 SP2 upgrade-WAIK corrupt error

I am upgrading from SCCM 2007 SP1 with R2 to SP2 in a test lab environment. I
am running VMs using Virtual PC 2007 SP1. I have a DC running WS2003R2, and a
Site Server and a Site System running WS2008 SP2.

When I run the upgrade from the Site Server, and I reach the Actions list, I
get the following error during the Install SMS Provider Components step:
“Configurations Manager Setup cannot continue because of the following error:
Setup has encountered fatal errors while performing file operations”.

I traced the error to c:\ConfigMgrSetup.log, and there I found “The cabinet
file 'WinPE.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be
used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM,
or a problem with this package.”

I found WinPE.cab in the SmsSetup\Waik directory of my extracted SP2 files,
it is dated 7/16/2009 18:16, 435976kb. I downloaded WAIK for Windows 7, and
also found WinPE.cab there dated 7/14/2009 13:10, same size. When I compare
the two files with WinDiff inside my Site Server VM it shows them as
identical. So I cannot believe that there is actual corruption.

Posts like
http://www.geekpedia.com/Thread14398_Cant-Install-Latest-WAIK.html suggests
that this error message can be due to other things, like a lack of disk
space. But my VMs are dynamically expandable up to 64GB, and show more than
40GB free.

I am stuck. How can I get around this error?

  • Client Push Fail
    ... Installed SMS 2003 SP2 ... ExtADSch from the SP2\i386 folder on the Site Server, ... Rebuilt the server and did everything in the correct order and things ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: SMS 2003 and SQL Server 2005
    ... We're looking at updating the SP2 deployment checklist, ... upgrade SMS 2003 site server to SP2 ... upgrade SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 ... Check out the SMS Technical FAQ: ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.setup)
  • Cannot Connect using SMS Admin Console after re-addressing Site Se
    ... We recently assigned a new ip to our primary site server, ... Since then, on my XP SP2 pc, I am not able to connect ... I am seeing this entry: Error: Possible UI connection error ... I can connect to the site server using my admin account on a W2K SP4 pc. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Re: SMS SP2 Sender properties | FQDN server name
    ... It's possible to use FQDN for all site systems including ... Have you verified that the upgrade of the site server was successful ... you can now enter an FQDN value for site server name.". ... Was this not implemented in SP2, ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • WMI Repository Rebuild on Site Server
    ... I have a site server that is having issues with HINV. ... WMI is corrupt and the repository needs to be rebuilt. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)