DNS / WINS

From: Homer (anonymous_at_discussions.microsoft.com)
Date: 07/20/04

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:17:23 -0700

Can somebody tell me what the difference is between DNS
and WINS. Everytime I read about them the script tells
me that they both resolve names back to IP Addresses.

But surely they cannot be the same or you would not need
to configure your servers for DNS and WINS?

Thanks.

Relevant Pages

  • Re: Is there a way to forward only email to someone@AOL.com to a s
    ... Also on this site there is a way to test if your script ... map to ourdomain.com in DNS ... you for helping us to solve our SBS problems. ... I have other people on Verizon and they can send to AOL.com users. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Dynamic DNS management
    ... One of the irritations is that with a dynamic DNS, ... the IP addresses for the authoritative DNS server of multiple domains ... In the script, the above line is repeated for each domain; ... Perl has very good pattern matching. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.misc)
  • Solaris tuning
    ... new DNS infrastructure. ... behavior for me) that needs to be increased so this script can take ... server 198.18.0.12 ... def start: ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • nsupdate(8) rc.d Script
    ... Subject: nsupdaterc.d Script ... As I was setting up DNS for IPv6 on a test network, ... And the script is not optimized to do the updates in the ...
    (freebsd-current)
  • Re: What happens to the machine name in AD?
    ... > OU which holds the computer accounts), then next to renaming the computer ... a rename will disjoin it. ... > script - if this script doesn't also update the respective computer ... > On the DNS end, I believe a new DNS record will be created for the new ...