Re: SMS Feature Pack

From: Fred (hush_at_dontspamme.com)
Date: 04/28/04

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:12:48 +0100

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I've been reading up on it and am fairly sure I'll go
ahead with it. I've looked through the White Paper Enterprise Software
Update Management using SMS 2.0 SUS and downloaded the files. I have 2
questions.

1 Would it be better to install SMS SP5 before or after installing SUS?
2 Are there any detailed instructions on how to install and operate the
Software update services functionality, outside of the .chm files included
in the download. A search of the MS Webpages related to the Feature Pack
doesn't seem to have anthing relevant

Regards,

John
"Richard Threlkeld <MVP>" <pleasenospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> A lot of SMS Administrators use it today and have found it helpful. I
think
> it Rocks!
>
> Yes, MBSA is the backend scanning engine used for patch determination.
SMS
> actually has many advantages over SUS such as reporting, targeting, etc.
>
> You can make your packages in about 15 minutes with the SUSFP, and spend
as
> much time as you want after testing.
>
> --
> Richard Threlkeld
> Microsoft MVP - SMS
>
> Looking to get more involved in the SMS community?
> Join the SMS email discussion list today:
>
> "Fred" <hush@dontspamme.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I have a question re the SMS2.0 Feature Pack. I'm investigating how to
> best
> > automate Security Patch management, and am looking at the Feature pack.
> > Does anyone use this? Is it any good? I understand that it integrates
with
> > MBSA to determine the requirement for patches on a given machine, is
this
> > correct?
> > Is there any advantage over using SUS instead of Feature Pack
> functionality?
> >
> > Currently I spend 2 days configuring and testing the patches as MS
release
> > them, then manually setting up the collections and queries to perform
> this.
> > Can anyone recommend a better solution?
> >
> > Many Thanks
> >
> > John

Relevant Pages

  • Re: MSBA 1.2 and SMS Feature Pack
    ... provied the download links to upgrade to the newest version of the SUS ... feature pack depending on whether you're using SMS 2.0 or SMS 2003. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.tools)
  • RE: MS Software Update Service
    ... I have been using the SMS feature pack since it was released and it ... deploy SMS just for SUS since the cost would probably be high. ... Subject: MS Software Update Service ... has anyone used the Feature Pack for SMS that contains the ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • Re: SMS2003 -Direct Internet Connection?
    ... I do not think his issue is with the catalog, but with the patches ... My SMS Server is pulling down the catalog, ... The full SUS pulls down the patches also, ... Or you could do the same process you did with your SUS Server and> muli-NIC your Sync Host. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.swdist)
  • Re: Can sms automatically distribute windows update?
    ... as you said sms distributes patches using the distribute software ... which to put it mildly is a bit more complex than sus. ... just need to select which patch will be distribut. ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.admin)
  • Install OS Deployment Feature Pack
    ... I have downloaded the OS Deployment Feature Pack for SMS 2003, ... the install on an SMS 2003 SP1 site server I get an error message stating, ...
    (microsoft.public.sms.misc)