Re: Publisher memory leak?

Jblair wrote:
John, thank you for the guidance.  I'm pretty good about
the usual disk maintenance stuff.  The swap file is set
at default (1.5 GB) . . . I might bump it up a bit.

What I conclude from your comments is that this may be
normal behavior. I had noted this more often on an older
system with just 256MB ram. With the 1GB system I
thought that the situation might well be a Publisher bug.
If however it is a "feature" not a bug, I just won't
worry about it.

John Blair
==========================
Yep!  I guess you could call it a feature.

1 GB of RAM sounds like unlimited resources but the fact is...heavy editing can still bog it down.

--

John Inzer

  • Re: Caching control
    ... |> A feature that would be useful is one where the level of caching can be ... The problem it solves is to avoid flooding RAM with a large number of pages ... of data that are merely going to be written to disk. ...
    (comp.os.linux.development.system)
  • [TOOL] RamSurf for Windows
    ... Explorer cache, cookies, URL history, and typed URLs are stored in RAM and ... written to disk in the first place. ... The package can also be used to assign your temporary files, ... Keep in mind that this feature defeats the auto-save feature in Office and ...
    (Securiteam)
  • Re: Microcontroller-Programmierung, wo bekomme ich Resourcen her
    ... Programmieren sein Hirn zusammennimmt, und die Compilerdoku mit offenen ... Am Ende hatten wir doppelten Speicherbedarf bei Flash und RAM. ... Wenn man ein Feature mal eben in die quasi fertige Firmware ...
    (de.sci.electronics)
  • Re: Since OSX will be moving to Intels...
    ... function is software bound? ... I mean, all it takes for it to function is for RAM to be written to disk at shutdown and if a RAM file exists, load it at startup. ... Strangely enough, it's not a software feature, it's a hardware one, a feature enabled on certain motherboards, to be exact. ... When we had people connected to a VAX and had a power failure, and then when the power came back, all they had to do was log back in and type "EDIT/RECOVER filename" and not one keystroke during an edit session was ever lost. ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Cannot load the Hive
    ... Possible Data Loss After You Enable the "Write Cache Enabled" Feature ... You may have some bad RAM. ... Microsoft MVP [Windows] ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)