Re: Publisher memory leak?

John, thank you for the guidance. I'm pretty good about the usual disk
maintenance stuff. The swap file is set at default (1.5 GB) . . . I might
bump it up a bit.

What I conclude from your comments is that this may be normal behavior. I
had noted this more often on an older system with just 256MB ram. With the
1GB system I thought that the situation might well be a Publisher bug. If
however it is a "feature" not a bug, I just won't worry about it.

John Blair

"John Inzer" wrote:

> Jblair wrote:
> > We are heavy users of MS Publisher 2003. I note that
> > when a long session includes opening a number of
> > publisher documents, importing sections from one to
> > another, tuning graphics . . . that an error message
> > often appears saying the the "Memory is full."
> >
> > This occurs on a system with 1GB ram, fully up to date
> > Win XP Home running on a six month old Sony Sony system.
> >
> > Each instance of publisher may have as a maximum, a file
> > open of 50-100 mb. Typically no more than two or three
> > instances are open.
> >
> > Any advice . . . other than shut everything down and
> > reboot?
> >
> > John Blair
> ================================
> Closing all other programs, especially virus
> scanners before beginning the heavy editing
> might help.
>
> Doing maintenance on a regular schedule
> can make a difference:
>
> Running Disk Cleanup, Error Checking and
> Defrag on a regular schedule is a good idea.
>
> (310312) Description of the Disk Cleanup
> Tool in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310312
>
> (315265) How to Perform Disk Error Checking
> in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315265
> (check the two boxes..."Automatically fix file
> system errors" and "Scan for and attempt
> recovery of bad sectors") the utility will run
> the next time you restart your computer.
> (run error checking repeatedly until it finds
> no errors)
>
> (314848) How to Defragment Your Disk
> Drive Volumes in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314848
>
> I run the following freebie several times a
> day to keep unwanted files deleted. I find
> it to be quite useful:
> http://www.ccleaner.com/
>
> Also may help to hide images unless thay are
> absolutely necessary to the current exercise.
> View / Pictures / Hide.
>
> I suspect "heavy editing" includes many many
> changes. Each change is saved in the undo
> stack...this can consume your resources. Not
> to mention that a 50 to 100 MB file can be
> many times that when uncompressed and
> open in your program.
>
> Maybe more ram is a good idea and also it
> may be worth a try to increase the size of your
> paging file:
>
> (308417) HOW TO: Set Performance Options
> in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308417
>
> --
>
> John Inzer

  • Re: Can No Longer Save File
    ... Description of the Disk Cleanup ... Tool in Windows XP ... I made my product catalog in Publisher 2000. ... RAM 256 MB ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher)
  • Re: Low Disk Space every boot
    ... I have Windows Live OneCare which runs Disk Cleanup Automatically as part of ... I am surprised that you managed to generate 20 gb of temporary files. ... Most of these Temporary files in the Windows/temp folder were created after ...
  • Re: Service Pack 2 SP2 PC Speed Slowdown
    ... regarding System Restore and Disk CleanUp. ... Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages, System Restore ( ... may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier ... Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Virtual Memory & NAV 2007
    ... >> getting rid of all but the last System Restore point) and check ... Many tools are built right into Windows XP. ... > You can run Disk Cleanup - built into Windows XP - to erase all but yuor ... > When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's ...
  • Re: Publisher application quits during startup at splash screen
    ... If this is a Windows installer issue, ... Mary Sauer MSFT MVP ... I suspect it has something to do with the trial Visio and how it interacts ... graphic contains wording which i would edit from within publisher by ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher)