Re: filename is too long or contains illegal caracters

David,

Per you suggestion, I tried to Add a Network Location in "Computer", but I
get an error window saying " "The folder you entered does not appear to be
valid. Please choose another" Why is it complaining about a folder? I did
not enter a folder. I entered an internet address. I tried entereing many
variations of the address and got the same error.

On my XP computer, I use the same URL and the same shared internet
connection and everything works OK. The only difference is Vista. Do you
know if anyone else has been able to publish to the web using Publisher 2007
on Vista?

Can you suggest anything else or anywhere else that I might be able to get
help on this problem. I am getting desperate!

"DavidF" wrote:

Ted,

I don't have Vista installed so can't test this myself, but here are some
instructions posted some time ago by Brelade. He is talking about ftp, but
the same is true for http:

"To Publish to Web with Vista

You need to Add a network location by Open Computer first before you try and
save.

1. Open Computer from start menu.
2. Right-click an empty spot main window paine. Choose "Add a Network
Location".
4. Follow on screen prompts
5. Secify the location of your website ensure you input correct format
(ftp://yoursite.co.uk)
6. Specify a user Name &Password if required. Uncheck log on anonymously &
input you logon details (ensure it is the correct logon details supplied
from
web host)
7. Wizzard will give you new shortcut a name. (You can change this if you
prefer)
8. The Wizard will create a shortcut to your account in Computer,
9. Your sever folder will open in a list on the left small paine / large
icons in the main right paine.
10. Close Computer file.
11. Open Publisher & create & save in normal way.
12. Select Publish to web icon in top left menu bar or file Publish to web.
13. Vista will open computer listing all your normal folders.
14. Scroll down to find your shortcut address to your site.
15. Right click choose login as.
16. Small window will apear asking you to input User name / Password (check
save password for furture login's).
17. your web folders will appear in main window.
18. In bottom menu bar you will see file name: / Save as type.
19. File name: index
20. Save as type: Web Page, Filtered.(If not there use drop down menu arrow
to select).
21. index.htm already exists. Do you want to replace it. ("YES").
22. Working "Publishing HTML Files" will appear on your web page. (Do not
select anything on the page be patient or programe wil frezze and fail to
respond.)
23. After a while, depending how long to upload. (still remain patient.)
24. Saving as: ftp://yoursite.co.uk will appear.
25. Once this disappers your upload is complete.

For future saves follow steps 11. to 25.

Happy Vista uploads with MS Publisher.

Cheers.
--
brelade"

You will of course want to use http://yoursite.com instead of the ftp site.
Here is a link to some more information about mapping a network drive:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windowsxpnetworking/ht/mapnetworkdrive.htm

And

http://www.vista4beginners.com/Map-Network-Drive

If you find one procedure better than another, please post back for the
benefit of others.

DavidF
"Ted" <Ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
David, thanks for your reply! In my XP computer, the shortcut to my web
server is in My Network Places and when I select it and click save, I do
get
the logon screen for my web server. In my Vista computer, there are no
shortcuts in Computer or anywhere else that I can find. How can I set up
the
shortcut?

"DavidF" wrote:

Ted,

Uploading has changed a bit with Vista and IE7. Both FTP and HTTP
uploading
protocol has changed.

As per the article you quoted: Prepare, publish, and maintain your
Publisher
Web site:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HA100947601033.aspx
There is a section about how you Publish changes to your site, and give
two
sets of directions at the bottom of the article:

In Windows Vista:
On the File menu, click Publish to the Web.
In the Publish to the Web dialog box, in the navigation pane, click
COMPUTER.
In the file list, double-click the shortcut to the folder on the Web
server
or network server where you published your Web site.
Double-click the folder where you want to save the file.
In the File name box, type the name of the file you are updating, and
then
click Save.

In Windows XP:
On the File menu, click Publish to the Web.
In the Publish to the Web dialog box, click My NETWORK PLACES.
Double-click the shortcut to the folder on the Web server or network
server
where you published your Web site.
Double-click the folder where you want to save the file.
In the File name box, type the name of the file you are updating, and
then
click Save.

Note the difference in XP...Click "Computer" vs "My Network Places". Try
the
different approach and see if that helps.

DavidF

"Ted" <Ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
When I try to Publish to the web using Publisher 2007 on Vista, , I get
the
message saying: "the filename you have entered is too long or contains
illegal characters...". The URL I use is "http://confluencelions.org";
(I
also tried "http//www.confluencelions.org" which is the format that is
shown
in the Publisher help text for "Prepare, publish, and maintain your
publisher
Web site"). I use exactly the same URL in Publisher 2007 on my older
computer with XP and everthing works fine. Is there a problem with
Pubisher
on Vista?

I use Frontpage extensions on my web host and I made sure my dial-up
network
connection is working fine.

  • Re: Emailing web form information to me
    ... To deal with your comments on Vista, it is the mapping via 'my computer' ... or indeed the other bug that causes Publisher to ... have a default folder such as "public_html" that you are supposed to upload ... In the Map Network Drive dialog box, ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: filename is too long or contains illegal caracters
    ... I have been working with Microsoft Publisher Support about this problem ... can drag and drop my files onto the web site. ... which version of Vista are you using? ... Do you upload to a particular folder ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: filename is too long or contains illegal caracters
    ... Try the instructions for "mapping a network drive", ... They aren't likely to know much about Publisher, ... with IE7 and Vista. ... When I ADD NETWORK LOCATION, I get "folder ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: filename is too long or contains illegal caracters
    ... When I ADD NETWORK LOCATION, I get "folder ... When I PUBLISH TO WEB (withing PUBLISHER) I get "the ... Per you suggestion, I tried to Add a Network Location in "Computer", but I ... The only difference is Vista. ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: filename is too long or contains illegal caracters
    ... which version of Vista are you using? ... past told me they don't know anything about Publisher). ... Do you upload to a particular folder on ... Per you suggestion, I tried to Add a Network Location in "Computer", ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)