Re: viewing in Firefox requesting Authentication, trying to rerout

Pat,

Ah yes, now we are getting there. You can't use a Master Page with a web
document...it creates problems, and apparently one of the them may be
writing paths to ftp...

Move all your content off the Master page and do away with it. Delete your
old files, and publish new.

With a little luck, that is your issue.

DavidF

ps. you home page looks better now that you changed the oblong object.

"Pat" <Pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
DavidF,

Yes - i insert the image directly. Then I use the "hotspot" tool to link
the picture to the page I want the user to go to.
yes - using master page for the background and general template

To Publish.
1 - save as index.html.pub
2 - the i click "publish to the web"
and route to the ftp site with APlus
3 - open html folder and replace the previous index.htm file (yes, default
folder_

per your previous directions. I will blow the old file away and replace
with the one i've now image compressed and format fixed.

That should be done by 11pm cdt

again - thanks for hanging in there with me...
pat

"DavidF" wrote:

Pat,

In looking at your code, there is indeed a number of references to "
src="ftp:// " on the second page such as:

src="ftp://tcliftonart.com/html/index_files/image5741.jpg";

I can see why as FF tries to load the image it thinks you need to log
into
your ftp folder...it is looking to the ftp folder for the image. What I
don't understand is how Publisher is writing that code. First of all, I
have
never known Publisher to create a "html" subfolder and then place the
"index_files" subfolder within the "html" subfolder. And Publisher
doesn't
write to ftp????? Color me confused...

When you upload to Aplus, do you use ftp or http publishing protocols?
What
is the ftp address they gave you to use?

When you do publish do you put the Publisher files in the "html" folder?
Is
that folder already there? Is that the default folder that Aplus says to
load your files to?

Did you use the Publish to the Web? Did you use Save As a Web site? Did
you
use FTP or HTTP publishing protocol?

Are you inserting a code fragment to import your images or just inserting
the images into your pages? If you don't know the answer to that
question,
how are you getting your images into your pages?

Are you using a master page?

As per the VML...sorry, that's my mistake. They took that option out in
Pub
2007.

Please answer the questions above.

DavidF

"Pat" <Pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
DavidF -
Thanks for all the help.

APlus is our host and they felt the issue is with Publisher.. their
response:
"I think, I have located the problem. It is related to the HTML source
code
of some of your pages. Within your pages, you are displaying some
images.
However, your code is not correct. You are referring to the images via
FTP
protocol instead of HTTP. Here is an example of a source code fragment
which
needs to be corrected:"

src=ftp://tcliftonart.com/html/index
and you'll be thrilled that they suggested I consider going to
Expressions
or Dreamweaver. Rebuilding this website is not top of my list right
now -
and I thoroughly enjoy using Publisher as it's "my speed."

. Allow PNG. Done
. Rely on VML .. I can't find this command. help me please

Working on the other items.

More later
Thanks!

"DavidF" wrote:

Pat,

Sorry if I came off as the Net Police. It just is hard to spot new
questions
when they are attached to other threads. If they are in another thread
we
assume they are in response to that thread, and not a new question,
which
makes it confusing for those of us that try to help out here.

As per your issue...I haven't seen it before. I get the same thing you
do,
when I click any of the navbar links to other pages in your site in
FF, a
dialog pops up wanting me to log in, implying that the page is in a
password
protected folder. And yet if I keep closing those dialogs....many
times,
eventually the page loads. Strange...very strange and I am not sure of
an
answer.

It appears that it may be a permissions issue on your host. Did you
ever
attempt to make any of your site password protected? You may have to
ask
your host why this happens, unless someone else can offer an answer or
one
of the other changes I will propose for your site fixes it.

In the meantime though, did you work through the other suggestions I
made
in
the other thread? You say you are working through the design checker.
When
you loaded the current version of your site, was "Allow PNG..." and
"Rely
on
VML..." unchecked? Are you using a Master page? And finally are you
using
"publish to the web" instead of "save as a web page" to produce your
html?
Try those things, delete your old index.htm and index_files folder
from
your
host, and upload the fresh html files and folder. Its possible the
issue
you
are having in FF will be fixed.

But before you do that I see an issue on your home page...the
index.htm
page, that should be fixed first. The oblong object that contains the
"Current Exhibits and Highlights" text appears to be overlapping into
the
scratch area, as it makes your page appear to be setup as 1175 pixels
wide.
Make sure that oblong object is fully on the work area of your
Publisher
page, do a web page preview and make sure it doesn't create such a
wide
page.

The other issue you should resolve now or eventually has to do with
your
images. Be sure to compress your graphics before you upload again. If
your
picture toolbar isn't already showing, click on one of the pictures on
your
page. That should bring up the toolbar. Then look for the "Compress
Pictures" icon. Click it, and a Compress Pictures dialog comes up.
Probably
check all options under Compression options, and select Web under
Target
Output, and probably "Apply to all pictures..." under Apply
compression
settings now. This Compress Pictures option is a new and improved
version
in
Pub 2007 from 2003. We argued long and hard in the Pub 2007 beta over
how
Pub 2003 handled pictures, and this was an excellent upgrade by MSFT.
It
even shows you at the top of the dialog just how much Compression
savings
you will get, and smaller, compressed images will load more quickly on
your
site.

Take these steps, delete your old index.htm file and index_files
folder
on
your web host, and upload your new pages, and see if that fixes the
issue
you are having with FF. Even if it doesn't, you will have improved
your
site. Post back and let us know please.

DavidF

"Pat" <Pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Contined from a previous thread that i barged in on
David F was helping me.

Using Publisher 2007 - but site was originally built in Pub 2003

per DavidF's suggestion - I'm working through Design checker...
www.tcliftonart.com

my firefox issue is with hyperlinks. main page of site loads fine.
then
if
you click on any of the links an authentication box pops up. and it
looks
like it's asking for the FTP authentication.
SO why are my links incorporating FTP protocol vs. html... but being
novice - i have no clue how to fix this???? help please...

src="ftp://tcliftonart.com/html/index_files/image2133.gif

.