Re: trouble with Javascript Pop-up

Ah, no the page itself is not centered. I kept it to a small width, to avoid
issues with visibility on other systems. (ironically) The issue seems to
have been that I had my monitor set to 120 dpi, everyone else in the office
had it at 96. This actually affected how the program generated the HTML.
Doesn't solve the overall issue: I'm sure the website will look odd on a
different set-up, but, as far as I can tell, this is unavoidable to a degree
with Pub2003, and WSYWIG progs in general.

Don't yet have a test-page URL. The page is strictly in-house at this
point, since it really doesn't have content yet. I'll post back when I've
uploaded to the host. Thanks, David.
--
-no sig necessary-

"DavidF" wrote:

I was talking about some script to center your page on the monitor, vs. it
being left justified as by default...not your new window.

Are you using a laptop, and your friend a desktop with different
resolutions? A number of people have complained about the wide aspect
laptops, and viewing Publisher sites. If you are using a desktop to produce
the site, can you view it with another desktop? Is the resolution the same
on the two computers that you are using?

I guess the next step is to post the URL of your test page. Tell me where
the text link is supposed to be located on your page.

DavidF

"djdefpoints" <djdefpoints@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Let me clarify:
What works: the text link itself, the pop-up window generated
What's wrong: the location of the text link on different monitors (on my
coworker's monitor, for instance, it appears half-way down the page from
where it does on mine.)

Here's the text link code, which appears twice on the main page (and
"wanders" in different browsers):
onclick="NewWindow(this.href,'mywin','528','600','no','center');return
false"
onfocus="this.blur()"><span
style='font-size:7.0pt;letter-spacing:1.0pt;language:EN'>more...</span></a>

Here's the script for the pop-up:
<!--
/****************************************************
Author: Eric King
This script is free to use as long as this info is left in
Featured on Dynamic Drive script library (http://www.dynamicdrive.com)
****************************************************/
var win=null;
function NewWindow(mypage,myname,w,h,scroll,pos){
if(pos=="random"){LeftPosition=(screen.width)?Math.floor(Math.random()*(screen.width-w)):100;TopPosition=(screen.height)?Math.floor(Math.random()*((screen.height-h)-75)):100;}
if(pos=="center"){LeftPosition=(screen.width)?(screen.width-w)/2:100;TopPosition=(screen.height)?(screen.height-h)/2:100;}
else if((pos!="center" && pos!="random") ||
pos==null){LeftPosition=0;TopPosition=20}
settings='width='+w+',height='+h+',top='+TopPosition+',left='+LeftPosition+',scrollbars='+scroll+',location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,toolbar=no,resizable=no';
win=window.open(mypage,myname,settings);}
// -->
</script>

There is a centering code, but in the script (for the new pop-up window),
not the text link, yes?

What I've done:
-placed text link in different locations, the only one that doesn't shift
on
different monitors is at the very top corner of the page
-placed the text link both layered over another object and in free space -
no effect
-used a script that linked an image instead - same problem, except now its
wandering image.

And no, no master page...learned that lesson my first time here!

--
-no sig necessary-

"DavidF" wrote:

I have never been able to layer a fragment box over any other design
element...surprised to hear it worked at all. The page generated should
be
fixed as far as width. Are you trying some sort of centering code? I have
seen text boxes lengthen when the text size is changed in the browser,
but
otherwise the user's monitor shouldn't make a difference. Perhaps if you
explained that in more detail.

You might play with the size of the fragment box...and you aren't using a
master page are you?

DavidF

"djdefpoints" <djdefpoints@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
ARGH...happiness short-lived...now the link text seems to wander all
over
the
page, depending on the user's monitor settings. From a search of this
site
and some tests, it seems that this is partly due to layering the
fragment
over a text-box, but even then, when I move it to the open, the link
text
is
placed far down the page, as if making room for items above. Kinda
stumped
how to fix.
--
-no sig necessary-

"djdefpoints" wrote:

I grabbed and modified the following script from the publishermvps
site:

SCRIPTwindowname_window=window.open'testpage.htm','windowname_window','toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=0,width=428',
height=480');windowname_window.focus()">More...</a>

I inserted this code fragment into my document, published to web, and
likewise, published-to-web the document called testpage. Both the
main
webpage document (called index-test.htm) and testpage.htm reside in
the
same
folder on our network server. I assumed I could test this fragment
out
before actually putting the documents on our website, but the link
doesn't
work. I get the hyperlink on the page (More...) but when I click on
it,
nothing happens. I'm a bit confused.

Side question: will pop-up blockers be a problem for this code
snippet?
(I
actually have trouble on this site with that - this posting window
gets
blocked.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
--
-no sig necessary-

  • Re: trouble with Javascript Pop-up
    ... I was talking about some script to center your page on the monitor, ... the text link itself, the pop-up window generated ... You might play with the size of the fragment box...and you aren't using a ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: trouble with Javascript Pop-up
    ... Here's the script for the pop-up: ... There is a centering code, but in the script (for the new pop-up window), ... otherwise the user's monitor shouldn't make a difference. ... it seems that this is partly due to layering the fragment ...
    (microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign)
  • Re: Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools
    ... Of course if your server is prone to running out of resources you should also be collecting that data via snmp with thresholds to notify you before you have an outage or at least graphing it so you'll understand the trends. ... We were able to use the monitor to look for ... Most of the common things you would want are already built in so you don't have to script them - or install scripts on all the clients. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Windows Script to monitor file size on remote servers
    ... I have recently written a script to monitor the file size on ... tricky part was to determine %systemroot% on remote systems (not ... or FQDNs of the servers you wish to connect to. ...
    (microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript)
  • Re: Command or setting to force monitor on?
    ... Keystrokes vbs script? ... But the same symptoms as without cscript, monitor not waking up, when I ... I set up a batch file containing the commands to first start IE, ... could move to the keystrokes command. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)