Re: Creating an MS Project for tasks not related to each other

Project isn't the tool for you! Project is used to schedule projects which by definition have a specific start and end point. What you've described is an ongoing series of unrelated jobs. These can probably be tracked thru a standard support system.

Unless I have what you want wrong? If so, what problem are you trying to solve? What defines success for you?

--

Rod Gill
Microsoft MVP for Project

Author of the only book on Project VBA, see:
http://www.projectvbabook.com

"jonopeek" <jonopeek.3xklnb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:jonopeek.3xklnb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there,

I am new to using MS Project and would like a bit of advise on how
people would approach the creation of a MS Project to deal with the
following scenario:

Where I work we have 6 programmers all working on different tasks,
these tasks are not really dependant on each other so as a result each
programmer works on whatever task they have whenever they have the
time.

They all have 2 and a half days a week put aside for support work to
help solve queries from other people around the business, in addition to
these 2 and a half days, half of every Thursday is dedicated to quick
win solutions for various tasks.

My query is how is the best way to set up Project and its calendars and
resources so that these 2.5 support days are automatically excluded from
the available days for the programmers to work on their tasks. Secondly,
how should the tasks be entered seeing as none of them are dependant on
any other tasks having first been completed. Each tasks has an estimated
length of say several days so I would gather this would mean they are
work driven.

When each programmer begins working on a task how is the best way to
enter the times they have worked on each task, considering they could
work for a couple of hours each day on several different tasks. This
means I do not have an estimated start date for any of them (just that
any of the tasks could start on or after a specific date) but still need
to know how long all the tasks together will take based on their
estimated time and be able to produce a timeline view so they are able
to get a visual representation of their work load.

I hope this is enough information for people to suggest their
approach.

Many thanks!

--
jonopeek
jonopeek's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/129020.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

  • Re: demonic problem descriptions
    ... given that hardware floats exist and need to be ... > and they do their calculations in BCD - essentially, ... and they ask us for BCD support from the language. ... That's another large group of FP programmers who have left ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)
  • Re: C++ CLI interest
    ... The question about this newsgroup activity level is: ... That niche currently is as a glue between .Net and native Windows technologies but even that will probably be phased out in the future before Microsoft drops all .Net support in VC++. ... Golly I am just thrilled that as a C++ programmer I am being told to use that wonderful RAD technology MFC as opposed to the .Net framework. ... The truth must be faced that the "support" for C++ and .Net was just a dog and pony show to grab C++ programmers and turn them into C# .Net programmers. ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vc)
  • Re: libitery directory in gcc-3.1.1 source code package
    ... >> I suspect that would encourage programmers to write code that only ... Compilers are already free to give a diagnostic for code that assumes ... system you want to support. ... were required by the language, that small amount of work would be done ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Python, Perl, Lua, Ruby -- anybody??
    ... everything-else have spoilt programmers into not even trying to ... removing write support for VFAT probably slimmed it ... I guess that's one argument for using Perl instead. ... Perl can byte compile (or compile with GCC via "perlcc" although ...
    (comp.os.msdos.djgpp)
  • Re: Garbage collection
    ... Unfortunately making an accurate GC for C would require compiler ... "The programmers knows what he does" it would be ... support GC or beeing against it. ... So I'd argue there's hardly a language whith more tools ...
    (comp.lang.c)