Re: Using Project as a 12 month timekeeping system.

Jan
We are in the same boat as Gigi.
We have a Dev team that is asigned work by tasks in Project.
We have a Support Team that performs work for customers over the year:
1. Support
2. Install/Upgrades
I have created a project with the following
Customer 1 - Support
Customer 1 - Install/Upgrades
We want to track work done over the year for each.
We have the users enter in time (PWA) at the timesheet and import them into
tasks.
Tracking Method = Hours of work done per period.

The challenge is the settings in the Customer project.
I now have tasks ending in 2032.

Thanks
Leon Milbeck

"Jan De Messemaeker" wrote:

Hi,

There are 3 ways to enter actuals through PWA: Percent complete, Actual
Work/Remaining Work and timephased work. There is a Project Server option
which one(s) is (are) to be used.
Wih the first two methods Project will register the actual work from the
start of the task.
That is why I need to know the method chosen.

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
"Gigi" <Gigi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
The staff enters their actuals through Project Web Access timesheets, is
this
what you mean by "which method"?

I have four individual Project databases assigned to each employee, 1)
Attendance exceptions, 2) Administrative Tasks, 3) Special Programming
Projects 4) Routine Programming Projects. Their timesheets/actuals
entered
are a combination of these four.

Thank you.

"Jan De Messemaeker" wrote:

Hi,

This leaves my question... which method of actuals do you use in Server?

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
+32 495 300 620
For availability check:
http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf
"Gigi" <Gigi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Thanks so much for saying that! I have learned so much from these
boards
but
I WAS embarrassed to post my question and out myself as the Microsoft
Project
Imposter that I am... :)

We do use Project Server, and I have the staff of 50 entering their
actuals
through timesheets.

I have gone through everything trying to figure out why their actual
work
protected is moving to the start of the project date and it is driving
me
mad. I am obviously missing something. I can see WHEN it is
happening -
for
instance if that Task duration is say 24 hours and the Project's start
date
was October 1st - When the staff member puts in 20 hours of actual work
on
October 20th; Project is moving those 8 hours back to October 1st.
Thus,
the
Actual Work Protested is not acurate and since we use this primarily
for
timekeeping that is what I track.

Thanks again!

"Jan De Messemaeker" wrote:

Hi,

Don't be too "ashame" about your way to use Project, it is frequent
enough.
How do you enter this actual work? Through Project Server? If yes,
which
method? If not server, How else?

--
Jan De Messemaeker
Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional
+32 495 300 620
For availability check:
http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf
"Gigi" <Gigi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
Hello,

We use Project 2003 as a timekeeping tool instead of a scheduling
tool,
it
is mandated.

Our situation is we have hundreds of individual projects that span a
12
month fiscal year, and work is done sporadically throughout the year
until
the "project" is completed. It may be completed in one month or
take
the
entire twelve months. The projects are assigned hours to complete,
from 8
hours to 1500 hours and they will have varying numbers of resources.
The
resources apply work toward a project sporadically.

I am having trouble with deciding which task type to use, as well as
duration. The projects are measured in hours. I am obviously doing
something wrong now, because the actual hours worked (protected) are
being
moved to the project start instead of the date they were actually
worked.
have the "start on actual date" box checked as opposed to the "start
on
Project date" box so I'm not sure where I have gone wrong.

Should I be measuring the projects' duration in months instead of
hours?
And which task type would be best suited for this timekeeping
scenario?

Thank you so much in advance, I really appreciate all of your help.
have
learned a lot from this board although... obviously not enough!

THANK YOU.

  • Re: Using Project as a 12 month timekeeping system.
    ... "Jan De Messemaeker" wrote: ... There are 3 ways to enter actuals through PWA: ... Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional ... We do use Project Server, and I have the staff of 50 entering their ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Project Tasks as Outlook Tasks
    ... Allocatus has an option to show them as tasks OR appointments ... > outlook add-in does that comes with project server. ... >> Jan De Messemaeker ... >> Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Using Project as a 12 month timekeeping system.
    ... There are 3 ways to enter actuals through PWA: ... Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional ... "Jan De Messemaeker" wrote: ... We do use Project Server, and I have the staff of 50 entering their ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Max. Number of activites in Project 2007