RE: How microsoft project calculate weightage of the items?

Project will calculate 3 types of %Complete.

%Complete. This calculates %Complete for each individual task weighted by
duration (%Complete*Duration)

%WorkComplete. This calculates the sum of %WorkComplete*Work for each task.
It is weighted by Work.

Physical%Complete. This calculates the sum of Physical%Complate*(Budgeted
Cost of Work Scheduled) it is based on money (essentiall). This requires
resources to be assigned with $/hr in the work rate. You also need a
baseline.

*******************
There seems to be many posts on "I know my %Complete, but what should my
%Complete be if I am on schedule"??

Here is a copy of a post I made last week on the topic:

You can copy the existing %Complete to a spare column, say text1. Highlight
the tasks you desire, then select the "Update As Scheduled" icon from the
Tracking Toolbar (View/Toolbars/Tracking). This will make the assumption
that you are on schedule compared to your forecast and project will give you
the "where you should be %Complete". Remember to put it back by copying
text1 back to %Complete. That's the easy way. You could write a Macro that
will establish the same value and place the result of that calculation into
text1 instead.

To properly status the schedule, first establish a [Status Date]. Verify
all tasks with [Start]<[Status Date] have a %Complete > 0. Also, for all
tasks with [Finish]<[Status Date] they should be 100%, if they are not 100%
complete, extend the task to the right of the [Status Date]. There also can
be no tasks with [Actual Start] or [Actual Finish] greater than the [Status
Date]. This is proper schedule preparation.

If you have properly costed resources assigned to your schedule, a status
date, and a baseline, then you should insert the Schedule Performance Index
[SPI] column. The [SPI] measures what you have actually accomplished divided
by what you scheduled to accomplish as your baseline -- a measure of 1.00
would be on schedule. SPI>1 ahead, SPI<1 behind. Explore Earned Value in
the help for more information.

Another choice, insert the [Status] column. [Status] will tell you if the
task is "complete", "future task", "late", "on schedule." Please note
[status] considers ahead of schedule to be "on schedule"

A formula can be applied to calculate the %Complete where you should be as
of the status date. The formula must address times when [Status] is (1) Prior
to [Start], (2)during the duration of a task, and, (3) after [Finish]. The
following formula can be applied to a spare column such as [Text1]:

str(IIf([Status Date]<[Start],"0",IIf([Status
Date]>[Finish],"1",ProjDateDiff([Start],[Status Date])/[Duration]))*100)+"%"

The formula can be used to compare with the %Complete field which is also a
duration based calculation.

--
If this post was helpful, please consider rating it.

Jim

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for FAQs and more information
about Microsoft Project

"huazhou" wrote:

Hi,
I am a beginner for Microsoft project. I would like to ask the project
calculate the weightage of items based on time or work to work out the
percentage.
I want to know the plan %completion of the project, and actual %completion
of the project. I use the original formula ,someone leave to me, and I find
something is wrong and cannot show the actual site progress.
In my opinion the plan %completion should base on time to work out the
percentage and actual % completion should base on work to work out the
percentage. Now the problem is what steps should I follow to get both these
figure?? Thanks a lot.

  • Re: extracting time value
    ... The "duration" between two dates in a project is NOT the sum of the ... >> related to a schedule in Project, ... My task is to get the planned time within ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Automatic calculation w/ add duration to "planned start/finish
    ... dates" - those dates that were the original schedule before we had to revise ... it after starting work - is what Project calls the "Baseline Dates." ... and tasks still to come with their expected duration. ... the actuals into the Actual Start, Finish, and Duration fields (display ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Formula Questions
    ... Start date and then that value is divided by task duration. ... we have many schedules with only one resource ... We baselline that and use SPI as described ... becomes important as it gives you ahead or behind schedule. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Automatic calculation w/ add duration to "planned start/finish
    ... What you are calling the "planned dates" - those dates that were the original schedule before we had to revise it after starting work - is what Project calls the "Baseline Dates." ... Using your terminology you could say the schedule doesn't show the plan, if that makes any sense, If we initially planned A to start 03 Apr and take 5 days so B would start 10 Apr, those are initially both the Scheduled Start and the Baseline Start. ... enter the tasks that have been done using the actual durations you obtained, and tasks still to come with their expected duration. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Estimated dates
    ... Now your problem is figure out exactly HOW to achieve those objectives - what workflow organization and what sorts of resources and how many to assign where will be required in order for it to be possible for these tasks to take place where they must take place in order for your project to be successful. ... I have a set schedule that I need to stick to based on outside ... I can in fact think of tasks that could have a flexible duration - that could ... Than or a Finish No Earlier Than constraint date (bet you have a little ...
    (microsoft.public.project)