Re: Material Resource more than one type and different resource in

Well, operating a ship for 180 days involves many jobs - weighing anchor, cooking meals, plotting course, steering vessel, adjusting engine, loading fuel, loading cargo, etc etc etc - even if it's only two people that will do them all - but in this case I don't think that's the crux of your problem. How about breaking the 6 month tour into 3 2-month segments, so that you can have one summary task for the voyage as a whole with 3 subtasks indented underneath linked in sequence and assign a different pair of resources to each subtask?

One of the sources of the problem is that this doesn't really sound very much like a "project" that MSP was designed to schedule in the sense that a project is a closed ended series of quantifiable discrete tasks that culminate in the creation of a new, unique, concrete deliverable . This is more like continuous production with shift work, albeit very long shifts and using MSP to schedule it is forcing the software to do something it just wasn't intended to do. Bound to give you some headaches.
--
Steve House [Project MVP]
MS Project Trainer & Consultant

"sudip" <sudip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:43A1F8CA-D259-4CDB-B21F-3809E39BE696@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dear Steve,

I will give details, which may clear the situation out :
We are an offshore service providing company, where our vessels/barges goes
for around 180 days. I need to man the vessels with two persons with
specific skillsets and they are on my 24 hours calender (being offshore). I
cannot breakdown the tasks as it is only one job throughout and the skillset
required are also same throughout. I do not know whether I could make it
clear to you or not but I will still try if you are not clear yet.

Regsrds

Sudip Roy

"Steve House" wrote:

One of your problems may be that you're not breaking the broad summary tasks
down anywhere near far enough. An activity or performance task represents a
discrete physical activity producing a single deliverable performed by a
specific skill set. While I won't go so far as to say 180 day duration
tasks never could happen, they're going to be very very rare. The rule of
thumb I suggest is the 8/80 rule and anything in your plan that violates it
needs further scrutiny. If tasks are less than about 8 hours you may be
excessively micromanaging and need to ease up and trust the resources to
know how to do their jobs while if they're over 80 hours you're probably not
analyzing the work in sufficient detail to effectively manage it.
--

> [...]
> if
> I find any difficulties. But I am still not clear on the reply for > point
> (b). I think I will expand on that :
> I am handling Resource Planning and for me all the projects of the > company
> are various tasks for me. Each project (or task) is for about 180 days > in
> which I will need to allocate personnel. However, all personnel are
> required
> to be rotated/releived after a span of 45 to 60 days. How do I do that > so
> that it is adequately visible in Gantt Chart.
>
> Regards
>
> Sudip Roy
>
> "Steve House" wrote:
>
>> Jim - equipment resources are work resources, not material. Material
>> resources are either a: incorporated into the deliverable being
>> produced -
>> ie, a server purchased and installed as part of a project to build a >> new
>> network or a supply of bricks going into a wall; or b: consumed during
>> the
>> course of a task, such as fuel to run the tractors you mention. >> Tractors
>> are neither turned over the the customer at the end of the project, >> hence
>> are not part of the deliverable (at least not often) nor are they
>> consumed
>> by the work they do. They are just like people in that they do work,
>> tasks
>> the need them can only take place when they are otherwise free, and at
>> the
>> end of the project they stay in the inventory and can go on to other
>> tihngs.
>> If we have three tractors, our resource is a single work resource >> named
>> "Tractor" with a max availability of 300%, meaning we can use up to >> three
>> at
>> a time but not more than that.
>>
>> So how do you account for the cost of the tractor? If its lifespan is >> 5
>> years of full-time use and it costs $150000, that means 150k must be
>> depreciated over about 10,000 working hours. 150000/10000 equals a
>> resource
>> "wage" of $15.00 per hour. The cost of using that tractor for this 40
>> hour
>> task is 40*$15 + fuel etc.
>> -- >> Steve House [Project MVP]
>> MS Project Trainer & Consultant
>> Visit http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm for the FAQs
>>

>> "Jim Aksel" <JimAksel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> > Hi Sudip -
>> > (a) You may assign the equipment resouce (type = material) as you
>> > wish.
>> > If
>> > you have several items that must be allocated (say tractors) you can
>> > enter
>> > separate lines. Given them a unique name Tractor1, Tractor2
>> >
>> > (b) You can establish a resource pool and assign that pool to >> > mutiple
>> > projects. The help system is pretty good on explaining it.

  • Re: Material Resource more than one type and different resource in
    ... I am handling Resource Planning and for me all the projects of the company ... such as fuel to run the tractors you mention. ... So how do you account for the cost of the tractor? ... >> Sudip Roy ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Material Resource more than one type and different resource in
    ... Sudip Roy ... Steve House ... I am handling Resource Planning and for me all the projects of the company ... such as fuel to run the tractors you mention. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Material Resource more than one type and different resource in
    ... I am handling Resource Planning and for me all the projects of the company ... which I will need to allocate personnel. ... Sudip Roy ... such as fuel to run the tractors you mention. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Material Resource more than one type and different resource in seq
    ... Jim - equipment resources are work resources, ... Material resources are either a: incorporated into the deliverable being produced - ie, a server purchased and installed as part of a project to build a new network or a supply of bricks going into a wall; or b: consumed during the course of a task, such as fuel to run the tractors you mention. ... If we have three tractors, our resource is a single work resource named "Tractor" with a max availability of 300%, meaning we can use up to three at a time but not more than that. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: A quota based lock
    ... There is a single resource and i want more sophisticated control over ... it, there're different types of jobs(client requests, back-end jobs) ... I keep a queue for each type of job, and keep counters to make ...
    (comp.lang.java.programmer)