Re: percentage time resources spent on project

In article <#EpuH#OpFHA.1464@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
"msnews.microsoft.com" <nonono@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is there a way to show the resource % time on the project in the resource
> sheet?
>
> i.e. if the project is scheduled for 10 days and he/she spent 1 day = 1%
>
> I can think of several ways...
>
> e.g.
>
> total work in project/total work for resource A
> total duration in project/total duration for resource A
> project duration/hours assigned/24
>
> cheers,

Is this a question or a suggestion? If it is a question, I guess the
answer is probably "yes" although I'm not sure I see a whole lot of
value in the answer unless you are giving out awards/bonuses based on
time spend working on a project.

With regard to the suggested approaches, the first is the only valid
one. Tasks have Duration, Resources have effort (expressed as work
hours). Therefore there is no "duration" for resources so the second
suggested formula doesn't compute. A similar argument applies to the
third suggestion. Don't confuse Duration hours with Work hours (many
people do). Duration is simply the time span (Start to Finish) during
which a task will be performed. Work is the effort in hours one or more
resources will spend on the task. If a single resource is assigned at
100% and has the same calendar as the task, then Work hours will equal
Duration hours, and this is often the case but certainly not the general
rule.

Hope this helps.
John
Project MVP

  • Re: Are Fixed Duration tasks flawed?
    ... If I have 2 carpenters and list them in my resource definitions as ... Bill Carpenter and Joe Carpenter, each available 100% I have 2 resources. ... Fixed Duration / W=D*U holds true for the whole. ... sense and is predictable enough to use for detailed schedule planning. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: Isnt there a "Machine" Resource Type???
    ... finite and infinite resource scheduling ... I may also have to go back and fix the duration ... Fixed units, fixed work, and fixed duration only applies to what happens ... scheduling scenario and this post is getting more detailed than I have ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: How to show the resource estimated hrs
    ... of how project works and calculates work, duration and units of resources. ... will find that the units of resource applied daily to the task is 13%. ... when you tell us the deadline parameters, you gave it in weeks not in hours. ... There are 40 hrs is a week. ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: I cant make hammock tasks work
    ... I wonder what it is you're seeing when you say it's changing duration when you add resources. ... But if I have "Carpenters" assigned to the task at 200% and I edit the units to 300%, as far as Project is concerned I haven't really added a resource. ... Do you by any chance have it set to schedule from project end date forward? ...
    (microsoft.public.project)
  • Re: 24 hour calender 7 days a week in 3 team shift
    ... So when you say a task has a duration of "1 day" ... Steve House ... We also want to show what kind of resource % that is needed. ... Project's task list and calculated schedule to determine that an A&P ...
    (microsoft.public.project)