Re: Sensors and PocketPC

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 19:19:23 -0000, scls <s.celles@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I would like to develop an application for Windows CE on a PocketPC...
I have quite good knowledges on programming in C++ (with wxWidgets,
Qt, and GTK+ on GNU/Linux... sorry ;-) )

Questions about programming are more likely to get useful answers if
asked in a newsgroup for programmers. With C++ in the list of
languages, microsoft.public.pocketpc.developers is a good choice. I
suggest you start by using google
(http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search) to look up
newbie
in that newsgroup; you should find several leads to useful info.

I also have good knowledges in electronics.
But my program for WinCE needs a sensor : a hall effect sensor that
send an impulse
that I would like to use (using interruption) for measuring a duration
I would to know if it is possible to do it with a PocketPC...
My PocketPC is a HP2210
(it has a USB port and CF/MMC card)

Unless the HP 2210 is unusual for its era, its USB port does not
support "host" mode, and therefore won't connect to peripherals.
That's a function of the hardware, so drivers won't help.

I haven't the finest idea of how (electronicaly) connect the sensor to
the PocketPC, I also haven't the finest idea of how to design a driver
for this.

Writing drivers for the Windows CE operating system (and platforms
such as Pocket PC based on it) is not so easy. I believe you need
Platform Builder, which costs $1000 and takes several months to learn.

Several companies, including Socket Mobile (new name) make CF and SD
cards that will connect to peripherals via serial, etc.
http://www.socketmobile.com/
Putting together some hardware that connects to one of these cards
would let you avoid tinkering with the hardware of your HP.

Several companies (including mine) make programs that accept input
from sensors. I infer you are doing this as a hobby, so we're probably
more than you need, and more than you want to pay.

Regards

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
20 Park Plaza, Suite 478